The Turning

"Thank you," Evan said to the waiter as he left after placing their food on the table.

"You want to break up?" Daniel's voice was slightly hoarse catching Evan's attention.

He stared at the male looking down in his lap "Daniel, please. You can't be tearing up right now when we both saw this coming. "

Daniel chuckled wiping his eyes "I am not crying stupid. It's just... all my life I was the one who ditched people when they all were ready to settle down and now when I finally found someone, found you with whom I can think of a future, it is me who is getting ditched instead. I... the irony of the situation is, I remember Stacy yelling the same thing at my back when I walked out on her that there will come a day when I'll be reaping what I am sowing and look... here it is today."

Evan grabbed Daniel's hand over the table and squeezed with pity. He knows Daniels past and there is a reason he is like that and it is not Daniels fault. We all keep growing all our life and our personality and character keep getting shaped due to the influence of good and bad times we face. Sometimes, a hard phase of life teaches you morals, noble things, makes you stronger, however, there are times it can also make you weak and vulnerable to certain things or aspects. In his teenage days, Daniel faced a lot of hardship and things like marriage or monogamy were something he lost his faith in and you can't blame it on a child who only saw the destructive face of a relationship.

Of course, as he grew older his perspective changed but till then being free of any responsibility other than towards his mother became his second nature. Evan's arrival brought a drastic change in his mentality and the view of life in general. He was truly a life-changing chapter in his crazy and shallow life.

A lot of factors in our life affect our decisions and Evan's need for protection and safety brought out an aspect of Daniel that was hidden deep within and only showed itself in front of his mother. As a human we all are social beings and crave for the touch of another living being in our lives, doesn't matter if it is a person or an animal and Evan was that touch in Daniel's life. His only fault, however, was probably that he was too late in realizing his love for Evan and in the attempt to rectify that he paved a way for another man to come between them.

Daniel smiled, obvious pain reflecting in his red eyes "Let's eat before the food gets cold." He whispered looking down at the pots filled with mouthwatering food even though he had no appetite at all.

There were so many things that Evan wanted to say at that moment that would relieve Daniel and prove his point but the deeper understanding they have developed in all this time, said no, to let Daniel be in the state he is in. It is better if he cries and let it all out then keeps it all in by lying and imagining reasons and excuses that will be only as hollow as his soul right now.

The food presented on their table was best in the class but even the delectable smell and belly rumbling presentation did nothing to invoke their dead hunger. They both were chewing but tasting no flavour in their mouth, they smelled but there was no response in their brain as all they were thinking was how both of their lives would change the moment they step out of this place.

The silence stretched on their table between all the chatter among the neighbour tables. While almost everyone sitting there was showing some kind of emotion whether positive or negative, the pair stuck out like sore thumb with their solemn and bald expressions.

The supposed lunch continued in silence until Evans wandering eyes noticed a sky blue jacket that struck him odd for some reason, he felt a sense of familiarity looking at it and it took him a couple of minutes to remember where he had seen it. A cross of realization flashed across his features however before he could think of something else the person wearing the jacket stood up and walked away from his line of sight and soon out of the building. Evan couldn't see the face because of the hat that covered most of his features but he knew that it was the same person he has seen sitting in Steven's café many times.