She Who Laughs Last

The rest of their day was spent sightseeing and shopping. Emma and Delilah took Cyn to all of their favorite shops and spots. They even showed her the schools they went to.

"This is my old house." Delilah said as she pointed to it.

"Can we go inside?" Cyn asked.

"Of course not. Someone lives here." Delilah said.

"Do you think anyone ever found those letters under the floorboards of your closet?" Emma asked. There was a little cubby hole in the floor of Delilah's closet covered by a small wooden plank that look liked part of the floor. They found it one night and decided to write letters to each other. They promised they wouldn't read them until after college but they forgot about them. Then her father sold the house. Being there brought the memory back to Emma's mind. She confessed her love for Delilah in her letter. She always wondered what Delilah wrote in hers.

"Oh god. I forgot all about them." Delilah chuckled.

"What letters?" Cyn asked.

"We kind of made a time capsule. We put letters in her closet and promised not to read them until later." Emma explained.

Cyn giggled. "Ooooo. Now we have to go inside to check." Before either of her girlfriends could stop her, Cyn leaped up the steps to the front door. She rang the doorbell and stepped back.

"Cyn!" Delilah groaned as her and Emma followed her up the steps.

A young guy came to the door. He didn't look happy to see them. "What?" He asked.

"Hey is it possible we look around your house? My girlfriend used to live here and we were hoping to find something she left." Cyn explained cheerfully.

"Uh.. no. That's okay actually." Delilah said as she studied the young man's face. It felt like she knew him somehow.

The boy's mother came to the door. "Hi. Can I help you?"

"They want to look around our house or something weird. Apparently they're lesbians." They boy crossed his arms.

The mother wrinkled her brow at her son. "Steven, what difference does that make? Go back to your chores."

He rolled his eyes but left his mother alone with the strangers at the door.

"We're sorry to bother you. Don't worry about the looking around." Emma said.

"No.. it's okay. Who did you say you were?" She asked.

"I'm Cyn. This is Delilah and Emma. She," Cyn said as she pointed to Delilah, "used to live here and maybe left something here in a super secret hiding spot." She knew she wasn't supposed to talk to strangers but that probably meant when she was all alone. She knew she was always super safe with her Mommy and Daddy right behind her. They would never let anything bad happen to her.

The woman smiled. She liked Cyn's enthusiasm. "Sure. Come in." She let the three women into her home. "I'm Sophie. The rude one you met is my son. Steven. Sorry about that. He doesn't have the filter that most of us are used to."

  "It's fine. He was right. We are, in fact, lesbians." Emma said.

  "So where is the super secret hiding spot?" Sophie asked.

  "In my old bedroom. Upstairs. May we?" Delilah asked. She was actually really excited to see what Emma wrote so many years ago.

  "Of course." Sophie nodded. She let the three of them wander upstairs alone. She didn't think she really had anything worth stealing. She had nothing to hide.