Chapter 31

"I pity you, Your Highness." That fake concern coming from the Countess' mouth was making the Princess' impression towards the older noblewoman had become unsightly.

"What do you mean, Countess? What is it that you felt pity towards me, perhaps?" She challenged the widowed noblewoman but the Countess replied, "Your current situation, Your Highness. My apologies but don't take my words too seriously but I think that Her Highness is like a bird that was trapped in a small cage without any sense of freedom...I heard that you were forced by this marriage by His Majesty." She stated with a sense of mockery but the Princess decided not to take this woman too seriously and decided to change the subject before things get any worse and she might say something that might be unpleasant.

"It has nothing to do with you, Countess and besides, your job is just serving me as the Lady-in-Waiting, not bragging my personal life in front of me. What the Emperor's decision has nothing to do with someone like you. Please don't forget that I'm a member of the Royal Family and you are just a mere noblewoman, Do you understand?" She berated the flustered Countess who hides her annoyance towards this young woman. That's why she despises the royal family so much.

Countess Louvie's lips purse, "Of course, Do forgive for my insolence, Your Highness. I didn't mean to disrespect you in such a manner. I shall start my duties tomorrow morning and I hope that we can get along well, Princess Lucresia. Good day." The older noblewoman curtsied before the First Princess and the Countess immediately leave the saloon room while the Princess' wary hazel eyes glanced at the Countess' back, "I must not let my guard down towards that old hag. She might be a Countess but that woman probably here to cause trouble in my palace." The Princess mused cautiously.

What could be the ominous thing that might happen to her?

-------------------------------------------------

The next day, the First Princess wasn't expected this.

This prudent Countess on her very first day on serving her as the royal female court lady whom she didn't find pleasant at first, was so good on her job as the Lady-in-Waiting than Lady Regina.

The Countess was managing the maids strictly but professionally and she might even take the head maid's job at any moment. The Countess was a very meticulous woman and she finds any slight mistake with a blink of an eye from any wrinkled bedsheets, clouds of dust in the vanity mirror, and even chosen flowers to be displayed in the Princess' Palace daily that was handpicked by the gardeners in the wide flower garden area of the Palace.

And her tea was surprising, delicious!

This time, Countess Louvie was brewing her a tea while the royal maids were preparing the sweet confectionery desserts for her afternoon tea on her beloved garden. Princess Lucresia glanced at the maids lining up on the other side and they seem a bit too uneasy while lowering their heads and she was slightly staggered when her hazel eyes noticed cuts on each maids' hands and they seem to hold back the pain.

The Princess's attention went back to her new Lady-in-Waiting, "Just what the hell is going on behind my back?" She thought in distraught over her poor maids.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, Your Highness! Please enjoy this tea." The Countess said in a gentle tone while holding the brewing tea on her tray. The maids were anxious while they were looking at their beloved Princess sipping the tea coming from the witch and to their surprise, the Princess seems delighted on the flavor of the tea.

"Milady, this is...quite extravagant taste! Where did you get this?" Lucresia asked while sipping the tea again to her mouth.

"It came from the East, Your Highness. I'm glad that you're enjoying it. I can brew you anytime you want, Princess." The Countess said with a sly smile that makes her lose her appetite for drinking this tea.