ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ

New week, a new chapter

New week, a new chapter. Enjoy! :)

Claps reverberate around me as I get up on the stage. My eyes find my mother, she is sitting in the front row, her eyes smiling appreciatively as she nods at me to go up on the stage. Beside her my father sits, he doesn't smile but his eyes are proud.

That's my success! I think as I divert my eyes to the woman who has been called to hand over the award. I make my way to her as she smiles at me, her pristine white teeth peeking between her dark red lips.

"I would like to request Doctor Bhagwati Roy to put on the medal."

AFMC Gold Medal for standing first in the entire college in Medicine.

I bend slightly so that she can put on the medal. Standing up tall with the medal dangling down my neck, my eyes search for my parents again. I find them, still proud of me.

We pose on the stage as the photographer clicks our picture.

"I would like to request Doctor Nehali Singh, to give a short speech, to motivate our students."

Heart pounding, hands sweaty, I make my way towards the mic.

I stand there,  as the crowd blurs, while I look at something far away, beyond the crowd. The claps continue cheering me on. . . 

Nehali?

Nehali?

"Nehali?"

Huh, what?

Was I dreaming?

What time is it?

Suddenly all of it dissolves, as I find myself on a very soft bed.

Wasn't I in the camp?

Who's this man?

Oh shit!

I jerk open my eyes, my limbs paralysed. I take in my surroundings, remembering where I am.

A white figure looms above me.

Basheer.

I sit up immediately, wiping my drool. I don't care if he saw the drool on my face. It's very much natural.

"What?" I ask, mildly irritated to have seen his face early in the morning.

"You will be staying at home today. Don't try to snoop around. There are cameras everywhere."

"I know. Anything else?"

"Yes, come down for breakfast?"

"Why are you suddenly nice to me?"

His face immediately darkens as soon as the question comes. He immediately masks his genuine concern, as static grey eyes meet mine, giving out nothing.