ɴɪɴᴇ

Dedicated to ObssiveFangirl99

Her voice sounds the same except that exhaustion seeps through her voice.
My throat clogs at the momentary comfort her voice provides. My eyes tear up as I realise how much I miss her. I moisten my lips as I speak up,
"Ma..."

But, before I can say anything else I see that man making his way back to me, his head bowed down muttering something to himself.

Dammit!

I put the receiver down, thus cutting the call. I cannot run now. He will see me and get suspicious.

I wait there, at the reception only.

" Ah..?"He looks surprised to see me here.

My brain works in a nanosecond.

I clear my throat as I speak up, "Can you call Basheer for me?"

"Ohh ah yes.Sure! "

As he dials Basheer's number, I gently rub my moist palms on my kameez as I sigh peacefully. I haven't been caught. But it was close. My thoughts take control of me, as I hope my mother would call the police and let them know I am alive. I hope she recognised my voice.

Should I have called my father? He is more level headed.

Before I can ponder anymore Basheer has already arrived, "Let's go."

He must have been nearby.

I nod as I take off my white coat not before asking the receptionist to give it back to Doctor Nizamuddin and follow him down the streets of Sahiwal.

" Was that Dr Nizamuddin's white coat?"He asks anger lacing his voice.

"Dr Nizamuddin was kind enough to lend me his spare white coat as I wanted to start working from today," I reply.

He nods but I can see the slight furrow in his brows and his jaw clenching. His reaction is unexpected.

Making our way through the unknown gravel streets of Sahiwal, I vaguely wonder what she must be doing back in India. Would she call the police? Are they trying to track down the number? (+92) code must have indicated it to be a Pakistani number.

But I called from a landline.

Will (+92) appear?
On our way back home, I notice an ivy plant growing out from the brick walls of a house, some of its leaves dried or plucked off, small ones sprouting out of it at certain regions. It's dilapidated state makes me wonder,

Aren't we both trying to survive?

We reach back home, and as I make my way up the stairs, I hear a voice behind me say,

"Come down for food in 10 minutes."

I nod, stopping once before I continue up the stairs. I use his bathroom again for freshening up. I need his help for changing the bandages.