Whole Again

When something so dramatic happens in your life that you aren't even sure who you are any more, the world around you is seen through different eyes.

Tae walked along the beach and he felt invisible, people with dogs, people on skateboards, children skipping with their parents beside them... he walked amongst them but he didn't feel like he was really there.

He'd been told over the years that he needed to move on because it was only his first love and he didn't die. It's reactions like that, that stopped Tae from speaking to doctors about heartbreak being the cause of his breakdown. The reason was always belittled and most of the time they didn't get the anger that came with it. He spent so much time being angry because he would never know what it was like to grow old with Jungkook and he may as well have been dead because that was how it felt. At times he felt like a broken record, with no one understanding how it cut him so deeply. He hadn't just lost the love of his life but he'd also had his best friend taken away, the one person, aside from his brother, that he could tell anything to.

His body hadn't heard what Jin said about Jungkook having a wife because his feet were taking him to the only place he had left. He saw the 2 rocks from a distance, this place felt more like 'home' than anywhere else on earth. He imagined the rocks listening to everything he had shared with them in the last six years, let alone the times before that when he would sit there with Jungkook. The two rocks could tell his story better than anyone else could and yet today he needed to say goodbye.

He walked down onto the sand to get away from the busy sidewalk, removing his shoes until he got to the part where he needed to jump down to walk behind the rocks where people couldn't be bothered to go. He had done this so many times, balancing on one foot while he put on one shoe at a time then dropping down where there was instant calm. He passed the smaller rock that had his and Jungkook's initials scratched into it, surrounded by a badly drawn heart and was careful not to roll his ankle on the medium rocks that littered the ground.

He ducked down to squeeze through the last part and around the final rock before the opening.... And his heart stopped beating... the air suddenly so thick, he struggled for breath...

Tae put his palm against the rock... his legs were definitely not going to hold him up much longer, blackness crept into his eyes around the edge like an old movie that was fading out... maybe he was hallucinating or had actually died at some point and this was purgatory.

He would know that hairline anywhere... even now when clearly he didn't recognise the broad, muscular back... but the hairline was unmistakable.

"Kookie?" the first attempt came out as a breath, there was no sound, so he tried again, forcing the word through his vocal chords.

Tae's legs finally gave way and he crashed onto his knees, the pain not even registering as Jungkook turned around and their eyes met. The rocks and uneven ground slicing into his flesh was not even on his radar as he saw the face of his dreams and the last six years paled into insignificance.

Jungkook ran to Tae and helped him up, muttering something about blood and how he was hurt but Tae couldn't hear him properly. Tae sat in his usual spot, in a state of shock, watching Jungkook as he spat on some tissue and fussed over his knees.

"You're real?" Tae reached up and touched the dark haired man's face.

Jungkook placed his hand over Tae's "Yes, I'm real."

"You remembered... this place?"

"Of course. This isn't the first time I've been here since I came back. I saw you here on our anniversary." his voice was so gentle as his hand stroked over Tae's.