Chapter 29

Kaelyns pov

Today is nationals and I am beyond nervous. I was currently back stage in our studios designated room getting ready. I curled my hair and was applying my make up, I always hated competition makeup because I feel like it was caked on my face. We had to use a ton of blush, super dramatic eye shadow false eyelashes and use lipstick. The first dance I had to get ready for was my solo to Once in a Lifetime by One Direction. I hadn't had time to choreograph my own solo because I was on tour so my teacher did it for me. I slipped into the light blue short dress that was open on the stomach area, I put my hair in half up half down with a white bow in my hair, I slipped on my tan jazz shoes and walked towards the stage door and wait to be called into the wings. After anxiously waiting to be called onto stage it was finally my turn.

"Soloist, Kaelyn Fanta" the MC said

I walked on stage during the black out and took my opening pose as the lights hit my skin and the music started. I was feeling pretty confident almost all the way through my solo except I rolled my ankle on one of my leaps but I kept going even though I was in pain. When I was done I jazz walked off stage as the crowd cheered for me.

"How did it go?" Jake, a member of my dance team asked me

"I rolled my ankle" I said trying not to limp

"Did you finish?" He asked helping me into the room

"Of course but I stumbled on my leaps right in front of the judges" I said out of breath

"I'm sure no one noticed" he said as he started wrapping my ankle, we have been on the and team since we we were younger and we've all had our fair share of rolled ankles so we knew what to do.

Once he was done we changed into our costumes for our duet, I wore a short white lace dress and a light blue bow in my hair and tan jazz shoes. Jake had on a white v neck t shirt and loose fitted blue jeans. After the soloists were done we lined up for the duets, I went over the dance in my head over and over again until it was our turn. We walked on stage during the black out and sat down in the front of the stage with our backs to each other holding a photograph.

"Duet to photograph, Kaelyn Fanta and Jake Gillies" the MC said as lights hit us and Shawn and mines voice started. I knew this dance in side and out because I had helped choreograph it. Once we were done and off stage we met each other in the hallway.

"Did you see that judge she looked like she was going to cry" I said laughing

"All of them looked like that, even that old man" Jake said laughing too

We walked back into our dressing room and got changed for our group number. For this dance we wore blue, pink or purple tutus, I wore a pink one and a white bralette. I put my hair up into a top bun and fixed my eyeliner. I lined up with my team and waited to be called onto stage.

"Group number Elastic Heart, from mrs. Lee's academy of dance's advanced elite competition team" the MC said

We waited for the music to start and walked on stage and begun our dance to Elastic Heart by Sia.

Once we were done we all met back in our dressing room and did a big group hug. We waited to be called to see who won. Everyone that was in the competition gathered on stage and waited for there division to be called.

"Third place for the soloist division goes to Macy Smith, second place goes to Ana Gomez" the MC said "and the first place, highest scoring title goes too Kaelyn Fanta"

I was definitely not expecting that, not after I rolled my ankle

"What studio are you from?" The MC asked

"Mrs. Lee's academy of dance" I said into the microphone as they handed me the trophy

"Now for the duet division, third place goes to Gracie and Jamie, second place goes to Maria and Cassidy, and first place goes to Kaelyn and Jake"

"We did it" Jake said as he hugged me before we walked up to receive our trophy.

"And last it's time for group division" the MC said "third place goes to radioactive, second goes to dance the night away, and the first place award goes to Elastic Heart, from Mrs. Lees academy of dance!"

Our group went up and received our award and walked back to our dressing room, we took a group picture together which I posted on Instagram, I changed into leggings and my team jacket and walked outside to meet Nash and the guys.

"Hey you did so amazing" Nash said coming up and hugging me then pecking me on ten lips

"Yeah like seriously I never thought you would be that good" Taylor said

"Thank you?" I said more as a question

"No but seriously you killed it" Cam said

"I killed my ankle" I said motioning down to my wrapped ankle "I rolled it during once in a lifetime, that's why I was so surprised I won"

" here, climb on my back" Nash said before I got on his back and he gave me a piggy back ride to the car.