CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

A N D R E A

I knew I shouldn't have said that, and I also knew he'd clench his jaw before he did it as I pulled back, my fingers still against his lips. I remembered what it was like feeling them against mine, and my thoughts immediately drove off towards less favorable circumstances, considering that there was nothing I could do here for the growing wetness between my legs.
"Andrea—"
"Ah, Lorenzo Santini," a foreign voice had Lorenzo's back straightening. I pulled my hand back, dutifully taking my place by Lorenzo's side as the dark-haired man approached us with a suspicious grin, "just the man I wanted to see," he offered Lorenzo his hand. To my surprise, Lorenzo took it, though the tension in his shoulders was apparent. He wasn't this uptight with me. The man took my hands in his, placing a sloppy kiss on my knuckles. I fought the urge to pull my hand back and wipe it off.

"My... My, I wasn't aware you'd kept such beauty for yourself." Usually, I wasn't one to shy away from a leeching asshole, but something about him made me wary. Almost like he wasn't just admiring me like he had an agenda. I shivered, seeking comfort in Lorenzo's side.
"I'm not in that business, Cillian." Lorenzo answered monotonously, with no hint of human emotion on his face, "Andrea is my wife, and I'd appreciate it if you treat her as such."

Perhaps it was just my naive heart, but I could've sworn I felt a hint of possession and jealousy in his seemingly calm demeanor.
Cillian raised his hands in mock surrender, "my bad,"
"Of course," Lorenzo half-smirked, "mistakes are part of life; however, oftentimes, they end up being the very reason you no longer breathe." It wasn't hard to miss his coolly delivered threat, Lorenzo however, didn't think the same as he swiped two champagne glasses from the waiter. He offered one to me, and once I'd taken it, he raised his at Cillian, proceeding to take a sip like he hadn't just delivered a veiled threat to the man standing in front of us.

Once Cillian was out of earshot and I finished my drink, I turned to Lorenzo, "Why'd you do that?"
"Power play, mia cara."
"You provoked him. Intentionally so," I hissed, fear crawling inside my heart like ants.
"I know,"
"Why?"
Lorenzo arched a brow, "What's with the questions?"
"I can't ask you things now?"
"You've never done so before."
"So?"

Lorenzo took a sharp intake of breath, but our conversation was cut short when other men in suits with beautiful women on their arms surrounded us once again, swallowing all the things I'd wanted to ask with their meaningless chatter.

As the night went on, Lorenzo only got busier, talking to politicians and anyone else he needed in his pocket. If I didn't know better, I'd say Lorenzo was kissing ass, but I knew Lorenzo Santini didn't suck up to people. They came to him, like moths to the flame, gluttonous for the power Lorenzo held at the tip of his fingers. Lorenzo wasn't charming, his eyes would scare anyone from a mile away, but he was a diplomat, the quintessential predator who knew how to bid his time. To plan out his moves before acting on them. Tired of schmoozing up to people I couldn't care less about, I made my way towards the restroom for some much-needed me-time.
I'd touched up my makeup and turned to leave the restrooms, but before I could reach the doors, I heard a loud thud and turned around.

"Carlo!" I gasped as he straightened, shrugging dust off his jacket. He lifted his head, and I met his red-rimmed gaze. I didn't know if it was the drugs or something else, but I had never seen him so out of his element.
"Hey, Andrea." He smiled softly, reminding me of days when I used to have a friend.
"What are you doing here? Lorenzo will kill you," I paused, realization washing over me, "Why hasn't he made a move to kill you yet?"
"Breathe, Andrea." He chuckled softly, approaching me.
I hadn't wanted to take a step back, but instinct was stronger than my affections for my oldest friend. Carlo stopped in his tracks, frowning.