CHAPTER THREE

L O R E N Z O

After dealing with more than one contretemps two weeks ago, I didn't think I needed another disaster at my hands right now, especially since the increased number of cops sniffing around was an inconvenience, to say the least. Being at the top of their criminal catalog also meant I had to lay low, and not go after Romano like I'd wanted to after reading everything Dante had to say about his ill-advised stratagems. I hadn't cared about finding out who the woman was, she was most likely a puppet, and why deal with them when I already had my eyes on the puppetmaster.

Finishing signing the last of the documents for the day, I snapped the file shut, leaning back in my chair as I pinched the bridge of my nose, inadequate rest finally catching up with me. I needed a drink and sleep. Ready to go home, and finally catch a few hours of quietude, I got up, picked my suit jacket from the coat hanger, hung it over my forearm, and walked out of my office, nodding at my men positioned outside to avoid any unfortunate tourist from ending up dead because of an honest mistake.

I was barely seated inside my car when my phone started blowing up, so much for getting some fucking sleep. Answering the call, I brought the iPhone closer to my ear as I fastened my seatbelt with one hand,

"Renzo, you need to come down to the docks," Luca spoke, getting right to business, but his perturbation bled through his voice, and I knew shit went down.

"What the fuck happened?"

"The ship with the product caught fire, it was set to depart later tonight, fuck we'd already loaded millions worth of the drugs on it."

"Motherfucker..." It wasn't the money I cared about, but what royally pissed me over was the knowledge that someone wanted Ricci after me, Camorra clans weren't known to be loyal to each other, and that only meant my enemies were closer than I'd like. It was impossible for such a fire to not draw attention or worse an investigation, and I didn't want that. "I'll be there soon, meanwhile try to get it under control, and make sure Ricci doesn't send his dogs here, send a message to Capo della Polizia if you have to, make sure it's discrete" I tossed the phone on the passenger seat after I finished, and started the car, swerving it onto the road.

* * *

Stepping out of my car, I walked to where the other men were standing, witnessing the ongoing onslaught against the ships from hundreds of yards away. Thick grey smoke wound around the ship like a hungry serpent as the fire blazed beneath them, devouring everything in its path, choking the clouds of ghastly smoke. It was an inferno, out of control, and fuelled by gallons of oil.

I felt the heat of the fire against my skin, sweat droplets racing down my back as the sparkling incessant phantom engulfed it all. The sirens of fire trucks and ambulances blared in the deathly silence, save the crackling of embers, but I knew that it was all ash by now.

"How did the fire start?" I asked Luca, still keeping my eyes on the mighty ardent in front of me despite the burning at the back of my eyes from the poisonous smoke and cinders filling the air. I clenched my fists, preparing myself for the answer, already knowing it was no accident.

"Don't know yet— but the ship was checked today, I think it was arson," Luca answered, coughing, his voice hoarse from the smoke. "Not to mention it is a significant loss, our dealers won't cover this shit..."

I'd already anticipated it, but quite frankly, money was not the issue, the only thing concerning me was that there was someone taking shots from the dark. All of this shit in such a small time couldn't have been a coincidence. It was an inside job, the only question was how many of my men were whistle-blowers?