CHAPTER FOURTEEN

A N D R E A

I would've loved to say that it was the sunlight that'd woken me up, but I hadn't slept a wink since Lorenzo left. He came back about an hour ago, however, he didn't bother acknowledging me though I did believe that was because I'd pretended to be asleep. He'd taken a shower, and then he'd left, and once again I was left alone to my thoughts. A part of me wanted to cry because now that the night had worn off everything was catching up with me. For all my anger towards my father, it hurt that he was gone, however, what hurt more was that even after all these years, the sound of one gunshot had the power to throw me back into the pits of all my fears and insecurities. I'd even blamed my attraction to Lorenzo on the remaining effects of the sedative they'd injected me with at the reception. It was a bullshit story to appease myself, but I'd keep telling myself that until I could actually start hating him.

By now I was outstandingly aware of the fact that Lorenzo wasn't like papa, he was more twisted, merciless, and to him, everything was a game he had to conquer.

A subtle knock jerked me into a sitting position as no one else had come here before, Lorenzo surely wouldn't be knocking since he hadn't bothered with it the other time he had been here. My questions were answered when a woman about my age popped her head inside and walked inside after seeing me sitting up.

"Good, you're up," She smiled, and took a seat at the foot of the bed; I didn't think she shared the aversion Lorenzo had of being in the same room as me for longer than absolutely necessary. While I appreciated the quietude, yet for reasons unbeknownst to me, it hurt a little, "Disappointed, eh?" She smiled like a Cheshire cat and I rolled my eyes, suppressing a laugh of my own at her accurate inference. Were all of them that good at reading people?

"The word you're looking for is relieved," I sighed, avoiding her narrowed eyes, but then she did the most unexpected thing possible.

"I think I'll like you just fine," I didn't know why I'd painted all of them as monsters, she seemed nice enough, and maybe just maybe I would be fine after all. "I'm Alexandra, but you can call me Alex. Everyone else but my mom does," I didn't stop smiling though I wondered what kind of a man Lorenzo was, especially if she seemed to adore him.

"I'm Andrea," I felt foolish saying that especially since I knew that Alexandra and everyone else already knew everything about me.

"I know," Alexandra offered me a kind smile as she clapped her hands together, "You need to dress up though so we can all leave,"

"Am I the last one?" I rushed to get up from the bed, untangling myself from the blankets,

"No, that'll be Roberto, and I think Alessio, but Lorenzo is impatient to get back home. And since he has already pushed Zia's offer for breakfast to dinner, I'm here to tell you a bit about everyone here. You'll need it for dinner," Alexandra sighed dramatically as I rushed inside the bathroom and slammed the door behind me.

I stepped under the shower, allowing the water to wash me clean. I'd massaged the right side of my head, painfully aware of the migraine that was forming. I made a point to ask for a painkiller once I'd eaten something and quickly washed away the suds in my hair. Once finished, I quickly dried myself and threw the blush pink spaghetti strap dress over my head. The dress reached just a few inches above my knees, making me appear taller than I was. I combed my wet hair with my fingers and rushed out to soak as much information as I could about the Santini's before I had to meet them all.

Alexandra was sitting on the settee using her phone when I walked out, still barefoot. She looked me up and down before offering me a smile and rushing to get a bag from the cupboard.

"Here, wear these," She all but shoved a show-box in my hands and I sat at the edge of the bed, my feet dangling off the edge as I put on the heels she'd gotten me. I admired a good pair of heels, however, I had to admit I was more of a sneaker person, and now I was worried about not falling flat on my face throughout the day.