𝐱𝐢𝐱. the bridge

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER NINETEEN -
THE BRIDGE

KATHY SHOOK JOEL'S shoulder gently, pulling him from his dreamless sleep. It was night time now, the moonlight filtering in through the bent blinds covering the windows.

He jumped a little as he woke, soon relaxing when he realised it had been Kathy touching him and not a threat. She smiled at him, "He said that it's time to go."

Joel nodded silently and grunted as he stood up from the chair he had been napping in. Together, they went over to where Ellie, Henry and Sam were.

Henry was giving his baby brother a pep talk, "Now we're gonna be moving fast, okay? So no matter what, you stick to me like glue."

"Like glue." Sam repeated.

"Like glue."

"Got it."

"Good." Henry patted the boys shoulder. He shifted his weight on his feet as he turned to the other two adults, "Alright, y'all ready?"

"Yeah." Joel said.

"All right," Henry clapped his hands and ventured towards the exit, "ya'll stay close. Okay?"

"You tried this before?" Joel asked as they followed behind him.

"Uh, yeah."

"That's comforting."

"Relax, old man."

"I just hope you know the way." The smuggler replied as they went past a small model of the bridge in the centre of one of the offices.

Henry stood in the doorway of the stairwell to the left of them, "This way."

They went down several flights of stairs until they stopped on the ground floor where Henry opened to door into the main lobby/entrance of the office building. There were tables with sheets over them and couches that they could use for cover when they spotted some hunters by the main doors.

"Okay, let's try to take them out quietly." Henry whispered as they crept closer to the threats. Joel took the one oon the left and Henry took the one on the right, strangling the hunters with almost perfect synchronization. "Got 'em, okay everyone move up."

They snuck outside, taking cover behind some concrete barriers as a spotlight went by them. Several hunters were on the walkway above the gate they needed to go through and one was on the ground floor with them.

Kathy went ahead and took out that guy while Joel laid out some nail bombs for if the hunters were to jump down. He then aimed a molotov at three of the hunters chilling out on the walkway, they screamed in agony as they burned to death. The hunter who had been manning the spotlight jumped down, immediately getting blown up by the nail bomb.