𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐱. coming to light

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER TWENTY NINE -
COMING TO LIGHT

"JOEL, IN HERE!" Ellie hollered the older man over to the garage door she was holding open. After Kathy had passed out, Joel had sent Ellie off to find a safe place that they could fix her up.

It was snowing heavily, a few inches now settled on the ground. To make travel easier, they'd tied Kathy onto a makeshift sled that they pulled along with Callus. Ellie had found a neighbourhood and led Joel to a house that was easy to get into.

Joel detached the sled that Kathy was led on and pulled Kathy's unconscious body inside the sheltered garage while Ellie tied up Callus. Once Ellie had shut the garage door, Joel found a mattress in one of the rooms in the house and dragged it into the garage, laying Kathy carefully onto it. Kathy groaned in pain with the movement, but she didn't wake. Blood was still leaking from the wound, but it wasn't as heavy as before.

"Ellie, search the house for anything we can use to stop the bleeding and sew up the wound. She's still losing blood." Joel demanded.

"Okay." Ellie nodded and quickly ran of to gather supplied to fix up her aunt.

Joel kneeled down over Kathy and began lifting up her shirt, her hand twitched, but nothing else happened so he lifted it up higher. He could see the wound, but part of it was hidden under the top section of her jeans. He cautiously unbuttoned the the top buttons, glancing up at her face to see if she would protest, but she was out like a light and he needed to get to the wound.

His eyes widened when he was able to shift her trousers down a little, he could now see the wound fully, but that wasn't what caught his eye. There was a long scar under her navel, almost from one hip to the other and he knew what it was. Sarah's mother had one just like it.

It was a C-section scar. Kathy had once had a baby. Why hadn't she told him? Was that why she didn't want to go further back at the radio tower?

"I got the stuff." Ellie ran into the room with a bundle of things in her arms. She'd managed to find a first aid kit in the upstairs bathroom that still had some thread for stitches and a needle in the master bedroom. "There wasn't much, but I managed to find some bandages and stuff. No pain relief though, just a bottle of vodka in one of the cupboards."

"It'll do." Joel said, reaching for the alcohol, needle and thread. "You got any matches or a lighter?"

"Yeah." She handed him her matches and he lit one, holding the needle over it to sterilize it. He then looped the thread into the needle, soaked his hands and Kathy's wound in the vodka and pushed the needle into her flesh.

Kathy screamed in agony, her eyes scrunching up as she reached for the closest thing - Ellie's hand. She clutched it hard as Joel proceeded to stitch her up and Ellie winced at her strength, but she wouldn't let go. Kathy needed her.