𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐯. home sweet home

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE -
HOME SWEET HOME

LIFE IN JACKSON was quiet, despite all the residents walking through the streets and going on patrols, it almost reminded Kathy of what life was like before the apocalypse. Over the past several months, she and Joel had settled down in a cozy two story house not too far from Ellie's little shack and Tommy's place. Ellie had wanted her own little space, but she occasionally stayed in the extra bedroom when she felt like it. Ellie was a growing girl, she needed some time to herself every once in a while.

Joel had settled in much more quickly, he even had his own little collection of guitars which he had retrieved on runs. Every now and then, she and Joel would duet. He'd play the guitar, she'd play on her piano in the dining room and they'd sing together. Those times were precious to them, they never wanted to give it up. Living in a community was easy, everyone had trust in each other, no one was pulling the weight by themselves. Tommy and Maria were their leaders and they shared out the work fairly. Joel and Kathy would go on runs, scouting for supplies and checking the perimeter, even Ellie had started helping out inside the walls.

Although, with Ellie being in contact with so many people, they had to be cautious with her bite mark. If someone saw it, they'd be in a world of shit, the only people who knew were Joel, Kathy, Tommy and Maria. Maria thought it best to cover up the bite, which led to them burning it away with some chemicals. There wasn't a bit mark anymore, only a chemical burn scar. Kathy had the same on her hand.

Most times, Joel often caught her staring at it and he'd feel guilty. But then she'd notice him looking and send him a smile that made all his worries fade away. He loved her so unconditionally, he could honestly say she was the best thing to ever happen to him. She and Ellie brought him out of a very dark place, they gave him something to fight for. He wasn't gonna stop protecting them until his dying breath.

He found her humming in their kitchen, her back was turned while she washed up dishes in the sink. He quietly snuck up behind her and wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her back to his chest. He joined in with her, leaning is chin on her shoulder and humming the song as he swayed them side to side.

When she'd washed up the final plate, she stopped humming and sighed happily, "I'm glad we came here, Joel. This is the happiest I've been since the world ended."

He grabbed her chin and she turned around in his arms until they were face to face. He then pulled her in for a lengthy kiss, "Me too."

"I was gonna go give Ellie some dinner, do you want to come? You can give her that guitar that you've been polishing all day." Kathy grinned, reaching up to brush away the greyish hair that had fallen over his face. His age was finally catching up with him. He found it unfair that Kathy still looked as young as the day he met her.