𝐯𝐢𝐢. histories to ourselves

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER SEVEN -
HISTORIES TO OUTSELVES

JOEL CLOSED THE door softly behind him with a painful expression on his face. He'd done a lot of bad things in his time, but leaving Tess behind to die would be one of the worst. He'd known her for years and now suddenly it was hitting him that he'd never see her again. She was his best friend, and those were hard to come by these days. Everyone was in it for themselves, but Tess...Tess was there for him. She knew about Sarah, what he'd been through, she knew the worst parts of him that he'd kept hidden.

"What the fuck?! I can't believe we did that." Ellie exclaimed as he backed away from the door, his fingers dropped of the doorknob one by one until his arm fell at his side.

"Joel...I'm so sorry." Kathy empathised, laying a gentle hand on his shoulder. She had no clue what he could be feeling, it must've felt like another part of him had died. That's what Kathy felt when she lost her brother, Mark and Anne. Ellie was lucky, she'd been too young to understand death when they died.

He nudged it off, "Stop."

"We just left her to die." Ellie continued.

"Stop!" Joel repeated louder. "You stay close to me. We have to move."

"Oh man..."

"It looks like we can get out upstairs." Kathy voiced from up ahead, she'd found more resources to make another shiv. Sadly, no molotov parts.

Gunshots ensued from the other side of the door. Men were groaning and then the awful sound of Tess's cry of pain could be heard as they ran along the upper floor.

"Just keep pushing forward." Joel said as they came out onto the balcony that looked over the entrance of the capitol building. They could see Tess's body splayed out on the floor with two others and a few soldiers gathered around. Tess hadn't gone down without a fight, she was one tough son of a bitch.

"Target neutralized. She took out two of my men. Copy that. You, take out the door. You, with me."

"Yes, sir."

"Oh my God. Tess." Ellie whimpered. "They're gonna be here soon. We should move."

They could still hear the soldiers when they went through different rooms, "Proceed with caution. There's still at least two more of 'em in here."

"How do they even know about us?" Kathy questioned Joel after they jumped over out of a collapsed wall and into another area of the Capitol building.

He found a hunting rifle with ammo still in it and he swung it into the gun holder on his back, "I don't know."

"They're escaping into the hall! Go around!"

"What do we do? Joel!"

"I got this."