𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. no other choice

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER THIRTY THREE -
NO OTHER CHOICE

KATHY HAD BEEN escorted into the hospital, along with an unconscious Joel and Ellie. Thankfully, after knocking him out, the Fireflies had been able to get Ellie breathing again so Kathy hadn't really seen the point of fighting back.

Once inside the building, Joel and Ellie had been taken to separate rooms, and Kathy was shown to Marlene's office. She was harshly pushed inside and the door was shut behind her.

"Kathy, you made it." Marlene greeted, pulling Kathy in for a hug. Kathy kept her eyes on the surgeon that was in the office as well.

"Marlene, what's going on? Where did they take Ellie and Joel?" The brunette asked, pulling back.

"Joel's in one of the rooms resting and Ellie's getting prepped for surgery. We did some scans, I thought you should see them." Marlene nodded for the surgeon to lay out the brain scans, "This is Jerry, he's the one that will operate on Ellie."

"Wait, operate?!" Kathy exclaimed, "You said they'd only take blood, do nothing that would cause her harm."

"It's become more complicated than that." Marlene replied sadly.

Jerry moved forward and pointed to parts on the scans, "It's intertwined with the brain, there's no other option."

"There has to be some other way." Marlene pleaded.

"There's no way to remove the specimen without destroying the host." Jerry explained.

"The host? She's my daughter, not some fucking lab experiment! Find another way!" Kathy protested, now understanding what he wanted to do. To get a vaccine, they'd have to sacrifice Ellie.

"You think I don't -" Jerry cut himself off, "I'm aware of the situation."

"And you're okay with killing her?" Marlene asked.

"No, I'm okay with developing a vaccine that'll help save millions of lives. How many Fireflies have died for less?"

"That was their choice." Marlene defended, "Are you asking me, or are you telling me this is how it's gonna be?"

"I am begging you to buy in."

"And what if this was Abby?" Marlene questioned him. Kathy didn't know who Abby was, but she could only guess that she was his daughter.

Jerry sighed, "Look, everything that we've been fighting for, all the sacrifices, all the horrific...all of that is justified with this one act."

"If this was your daughter, what would you do?" Kathy asked him, her eyes searching his for any emotion.