𝐢𝐢𝐢. always be prepared

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

𝕺𝖜𝖓 𝖂𝖔𝖗𝖘𝖙 𝕰𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖞

- CHAPTER THREE -
ALWAYS BE PREPARED

KATHY SPRINTED AS fast as she could, pushing Ellie to move faster with her shorter legs. They jumped down a steep ridge, just as the soldiers' truck pulled up above them.

"Holy shit!"

"I got two dead uniforms. I repeat. I got two casualties in Sector Twelve. Requesting immediate backup."

"Follow me." Tess said, crouching behind a fallen pillar as an alarm blared around them. Another truck pulled up ahead with a searchlight attached to its roof. "Alright, Ellie. When I give you the signal, we run."

"Signal. Run. Got it." Ellie confirmed. The searchlight moved away from their area.

"Now. Run." The smuggler commanded and they ran, dropping down another ridge into a deep trench. Multiple searchlights were crossing the path ahead of them. "Stay away from those lights."

Kathy and Ellie avoided with ease, climbing over a pillar and under another. The brunette looked down at her shaky niece after she assessed their next move, "Sweetheart, it's gonna be another sprint. You ready?"

"Sure. Yeah" The auburn haired girl gulped and they took off once more, going through a tunnel that cut through the the floor above.

"Goddammit. They're everywhere." Joel voiced in agitation as they came out the tunnel and dropped into the large puddle of water below.

"Soldier." Tess pointed out with a low voice, "Right there."

"I see 'em, I see 'em."

A soldier from above them could be heard, "They must've gotten through. Check the trenches!"

"Just stay back." Joel advised as they snuck around a corner.

"I don't see anything down there. Are we sure they came this way?"

"Unless we're told otherwise, we just keep scanning."

"Stay down. Don't let 'em see you." He continued as they quietly shuffled directly below a soldier's feet, completely in their blind spot.

Kathy snorted quietly, clutching the pistol in her hand tighter as she stared at the back of Joel's head, "No, I was just gonna announce my presence and get shot on sight."

"Come on kid. Follow Joel." Tess urged the teen from the back of their little group. They didn't need their cargo getting left behind with soldiers around, especially with what they had just discovered about her.

With some precision and stealth, Kathy, Tess, Joel and Ellie managed to sneak by all the soldiers without being seen. If a soldier hadn't gotten too close for comfort, Kathy would come up from behind and knock them out. She didn't want to kill them, they were just doing their job. Although, she'd probably think differenly if they had been spotted.