one hundred and five

Comenzar desde el principio

He leans across and kisses her, "Think we were due a holiday. Besides, they're having fun."

This was their first real holiday where John wasn't off doing interviews during the day or on stage at night and Roxanne watches their three older boys running around the beach. They'd spent the first hour building sandcastles and other sand sculptures and now they were chasing each other and throwing buckets of water over one another.

Robert and Isla were sat on the sand in between John and Roxy's loungers, building their own piles and playing with the other toys that they'd brought with them.

When the sun starts getting just that little bit too hot, John stands and puts up the parasol so that the two youngsters are in the shade and Roxanne calls the boys back so she can top up their suncream.

"Do we have to put this on again?" Theo whines as she swipes some across his nose.

"Yes," Roxy hums, "I won't have the three of you looking like lobsters."

"Dad-"

"Listen to your mum, mate," John ruffles his hair, "You'll thank her later."

When they're all adequately covered, they take off to resume their game but this time, John gets dragged up with them and Roxanne snaps some photos of them, some of Isla and Robert before moving herself onto the sand to show them how to build a sandcastle, looking back at the water ever-so-often.

She just feels so at peace. Being out here with just John and her babies, spending time together as a family, that's all she ever wants to do.

++|++

Roxy tiptoes from the bedroom here the boy are all sharing the one bed. There are three in there but for some reason, they wanted to share and so she'd tucked them in and kissed them goodnight.

Closing the door softly, she peeks into their room to see that both toddlers are also asleep and she falls against the wall with a sigh of relief.

Finally, peace.

Dinner had been a complete and utter disaster. Well, it had been peaceful until dessert, where Theo had insisted on wanting a whole chocolate cake to himself and well, long story short, when the other four wanted a whole chocolate cake too, no one got any pudding. 

She finds John on the balcony and tiptoes out to join him, wrapping her arms around his torso. 

"Can't we just stay?" she whispers, kissing the back of his neck softly and she feels him laugh, "I'm sure the boys wouldn't mind."

"Oh, I think they would," John snickers, taking one last glance at the ocean before turning around so he can kiss her forehead, "Are they asleep?"

"Yes," she says in relief, leaning up to kiss him but stops when there's a knock on the door.

"Perfect timing," he whispers, giving her hip a gentle squeeze as he moves around her.

"John?"

She follows him back inside the suite and waits patiently as he answered the door, talking quietly with whoever is on the other side.

"Thank you," she hears him say and she raises an eyebrow when he wheels a room service trolly in.

"What's this?"

"Well," he grins, lifting the cloche to reveal a deliciously rich looking chocolate cake, "I thought that after what we put up with tonight, that we deserved some dessert. And I know that you were going to get the cake yourself so..."

Roxanne grins as he picks up what is her plate and holds it out to her.

"What do you think?" he asks, "Will you join me on the balcony in the secret eating of cake while our children are sleeping?"

She takes the fork in his outstretched hand, "I would love to."

He carries the two plates out to the balcony where there's a little table and as they sit, Roxanne can't help but smile.

"What?"

She shrugs, "I just...it's been a while since we've had any time with just the two of us. And I know it's not much but..."

"I know what you mean," he nods, taking a forkful of cake and holding it up for her.

She laughs but eats it anyway, almost moaning at how good it is, "Sneaky cake is the best cake."

John grins and takes his own bite, "It really is."

Of course, they're never really alone for all that long and it's little Theo who comes out of the bedroom, rubbing his eyes as he goes in search of his parents so he can get a glass of water and when he sees them out on the balcony, he gasps loudly, making the pair of them still.

"Mum and dad are eating cake without us!"