12. The Test

If I lay here, if I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world
Forget what we're told before we get too old
Just show me a garden that's burstin' into life

~ Snow Patrol

Chapter twelve. The Test

My knee jogged up and down due to how nervous I was. This was it, no going back now. The prenatal paternity test was going to happen and Leo and I couldn't back out, because we had already paid the fee to have it done ASAP, the original fee for it to happen (which was quite pricy if I did say so myself) and also because Leo's mouth had already been swabbed.

It was slightly weird and awkward to watch Leo provide his DNA since he stuck a cotton bud in his mouth and swabbed one side of the inside of his cheek to get saliva. I still wasn't quite sure why I laughed when the swab was inside his mouth, probably because it made a dent inside of his mouth and looked rather... Strange and disturbing if you know what I mean.

All that was left was for me to have the tissue from the placenta and the fluids from the room extracted out of me.

Scared was an understatement, I was crapping myself. I knew that the test had to be done otherwise I would never know if the baby was Leo's or not, for a very long time. It was best to know now sooner than later because if the baby wasn't Leo's he would have more time to prepare... That was if he didn't mind raising his nephew or niece.

Leo sat calmly next to, with our hands entwined. He seemed as cool as a cucumber and not even scared of anything. While I was panicking of a needle being inserted in my abdomen.

"You will stay in the room, won't you?" I asked Leo, my voice an octave higher than usual.

He turned his head towards me and have me a billion dollar smile.

"Of course, I'm not going to let you go through it alone," he said squeezing my hand tightly.

"Okay," that seemed to lower my nerves slightly, knowing that Leo was going to be by my side no matter what.

I sunk back into the chair and continued to wait. Leo and I had been sat in the waiting room for just over an hour. I was bored out of my mind but too worried and nervous to care about my boredom.

Leo was too lost in his own thoughts to even notice that I was bored and scared. He just kept a hold of my hand and rubbed soothing circles into my skin. This morning Leo had annoyed me slightly because I had gotten up to go to the toilet but he suddenly got up as well and barged right in front of me, to get to the toilet first. I knew we had at least another four toilets in the house but yet I was going there first. I didn't talk to him for the rest of the morning, not till we got in the car. I only talked to him again because he promised me Krispy Kreme doughnuts on the way back home, from the hospital.

Though the appointment was at 12pm it had now gone past 1pm, which didn't make any sense at all. I sighed once more, in desperation. My butt was hurting because of the horrible plastic chairs but there was nothing else to sit on, well except the cold floor.

I played with the hem of my purple plaid shirt and sighed again. I knew that I would have to expose my stomach due to the needle going through my abdomen so I dressed casually and simple in a plaid shirt and leggings with my grey timberlands, alongside with a coat and scarf. I couldn't wear skinny jeans anymore since I just wasn't comfortable in them, the tightness of the jean material never looked right on pregnant me; leggings were just the main source of bottom wear for me now.

Leo on the other hand looked like a freaking model. He was dressed in dark blue jeans that hugged his toned legs, a grey fitted light jumper, his dark brown Colorado boots and also his famous leather jacket. His hair was combed back lazily but he still managed to look a hundred times better than me.