Chapter 9

I spent Christmas with my family and he spent his in his office. I didn't want him to meet my family yet because it was too early. Yasmin spent the first half of her Christmas with her family and spent the rest with my family at my grandmother's house. I always spent time with my mom and grandma, so Christmas just felt like another day, just embellished with warm kisses, hot cocoa and gifts. 

Yasmin and I separated ourselves from my mother and grandmother to speak in private. They were very nosy. 

"Spill it." She said as we sat down.

"Spill what?" I responded.

"Don't try to act innocent. You haven't spoken to me since the CCC. What happened?"

"He came over...and..."

"You guys had sex!" She said loudly.

I shushed her and looked over my shoulder to see if my mother and grandmother heard her.

"Sorry. I forgot the whole virgin thing. Anyway, go ahead."

"I put on a movie, but we didn't up watching it anyway. I had a glass of wine. And got a little tipsy. Everything escalated after that."

"Wait---you drank? That's why you had sex. Alcohol is very dangerous for you." She laughed. "How many times did you do it?"

"8-9 times." 

She left her mouth open.

"It's like he's a god at having sex. I orgasmed every time we did."

"Surprisingly enough, I haven't done anything with David. Finally, I'm the good girl." 

"Les filles, come eat. The food is done cooking." My grandmother stated interrupted.

My grandmother was from the beautiful island of Haiti. She moved to the U.S at 18 and had my mother at 30. Although I can't speak french nor creole, I understood them. She was very strict but very warm and beautiful. I became even closer to her once my father passed away when I was 15.

We left our seat and sat at the kitchen table.

"Alina. Isn't it time for you to search for a husband?" My grandmother asked in a heavy accent.

"Mom." My mom told my grandma after putting the bowl of gravy down.

"Sarah, Kite'm pale."* She retorted to my mother. She focused back to me again. "Alina, you are already 26. You went to school and you are successful. Now you need to find a husband. You will not stay 26 forever. Look at Yasmin. She found a nice young man. You need to hurry up. Your last one didn't work out, go search for another." 

Yasmin ate awkwardly and was laughing at the same time. 

"Grandma, I have a boyfriend." I responded.

"You do? Tell me. He comes from good family? He has good job? Where he went to school? Why you did not bring him here to meet us?" 

"Grandma, that's too quick. We've only been dating for a few weeks."

"Why not? I met your grand-pere** and marry him in 5 months."

"Grandma, it's a different time."

"Hmm. So you don't want Grandma to see you have babies before she dies right? Tell me what is his name?"

"His name is Chris."

"He sounds educated." She responded. "Anyway, eat up, you look skinny. You not feed yourself?"

Dinners with my grandmother always went like this whenever I was single. She did the same with Yasmin too. She was like my sister, after all. 

We ate up and left them to talk. Yasmin head home and I, to mine. Once I got inside, I took my coat off, and crashed on my couch. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Kite'm pale: Let me talk.

**Grand-pere: Grandfather.