Chapter 19

Over the next couple of weeks, Ben and Jerry's rocky road ice cream became my best friend. Yasmin's rounds of girls night out at other bars to "meet new people" didn't quite work out. After all, I'd had my fair share of dating bar men.

At work, the floor levels kept us at a healthy distance and I never visited his office once. I mean, I know it's not my fault and that I shouldn't be upset, but it still hurts.

My grandmother and sister refused to speak to me because of our recent bump on the road but not an inch of my body cared.

Yasmin spent more time at my house, along with a lot of popcorn and wine. We finished our nightly gossip and a I noticed a look of worry on Yasmin's face.

I put my glass of wine on the table.

"What?" I asked.

"Do you wanna hear the good news or the bad?" She responded.

"The bad. Might as well."

"Um...well...He left for Chicago a couple of weeks ago."

"Oh..." Is all I could fathom.

"And.."

"And?" My curiosity rose.

"I'm-getting married. David proposed yesterday."

I jumped up and hugged her.

"Oh my God! Congratulations! Why would you think it's bad news?"

"I don't know. Everything has been spiraling down for you and I just didn't want to make it worse."

"You're my best friend. Even in my worst times, I'd still be happy for you." I answered. "Now. What's the good news?"

"Jeremy has a job offer for you at his company."

I quit last week and was searching for a company in need of and advert exec. Jeremy was Yasmin's half brother on her father's side.

"How do you know? Is Jeremy back?" I pondered.

"Yeah. He decided to stay here for a while."

I hadn't seen him in 4 years. He was always nerdy and although he was 3 years older than Yasmin and I, back then, he seemed younger.

"He asked me to give you his phone number and for you to call him ASAP."

She handed me his card.

Yasmin spent the night over, smiling from ear to ear every time she glanced at the boulder on her finger. I was happy for her.

The next day, I called Jeremy and made made an appointment with him for lunch. Yasmin was still asleep when I left my house.

We met up at a local brunch restaurant. He wasn't the nerdy Jeremy I once knew. He was tall, blond, had dimples and had a gray suit on. He looked like he came straight out of an Aeropostale magazine. He stood up when I walked in and waived his hand.

I walked very awkwardly to him. He shook my hand and we sat down.

"Hi Jeremy. You're got very goo-- Hi Jeremy." I stopped myself, realizing what I was about to say was inappropriate.

He smiled.

"This is basically your interview for the job. I'm the Vice President of Kadis Water and when Yasmin told me about you, I wanted to interview you myself."

Kadis Water was a water bottle supplier that allowed the consumers to receive electrolytes while refreshing themselves. The product was geared mostly towards athletes and they were selling like hotcakes.

The interview took around 45 minutes as he asked every single question the world contained. When it ended, I shook his hand goodbye and turned my back towards him, to leave.

It felt very awkward to leave behind a company that I really thought I would work for, for at least a decade.

I had to readjust myself all over again.