Chapter 18

"Anna? What are you doing here?" I asked, holding the door.

"You're not gonna let me in?"

I motioned her to come in.

"I heard what happened but I wanted to see for myself." She said, looking straight at Chris.

"Babe, this is my older sister Annah. Annah, this is my fiancé Chris."

They shook hands but she eyes him from top to bottom.

"Why do I have to leave my office in Jersey to come handle your crisis?"

"I'm...gonna go...buy some milk." Chris announced, obviously bothered by her.

He left my house and the conversation continued.

"I didn't ask you to come here."

"Well, mom and grandma felt like I should talk to you."

"Can you leave?" I asked. "I'm 26 and you still think that your opinion is always best. "

We did not have the best relationship. She was always the prettiest, the smartest and always thought that what Anna says, goes.

"Why are you so immature and stubborn? What? You felt like you needed to stand out, so you got yourself an Asian guy?"

"You come here and don't even ask how I'm doing and you're already attacking me. You're my sister. You're supposed to support me. Not make me feel like I should be ashamed." I responded.

"Well you should. This is an abomination."

"At least I know that he won't cheat on me with his cousin." I answered, not regretting it.

She was left speechless. She picked up her bag and headed out the door. I followed her and slammed the door behind her.

Moments later, Chris came in, holding a milk carton.

"You actually bought milk?" I asked, amused.

"Yeah. There's no more. Where did your sister go?"

"I made her leave."

He poured us both a glass of milk and we sat down at the kitchen table.

"I'm sorry." I said, once again.

"Stop apologizing." He told me, pulling my chin towards his face. "As long as you're fine with us being the kind of couple we are, I don't care about other people."

I leaned in and kissed him.

"I'm gonna go home now." He said grabbing his jacket and heading out the door.

"Do you want me to come?"

"No. No, I'll call you later."

He kissed me on the forehead and in a few moments, I was left alone in my living room.

He didn't. Later became a couple hours, a couple hours became a couple days. Even at work, he avoided my gaze and didn't allow any workers in his office.

If he wouldn't talk to me, neither would I. No, not this time.

I picked up my phone and dialed his number.

"Hey, I'm in a meeting. I'll call you later."

"Excuse you? What the hell is your problem?!" I screamed.

"Can you not make a big deal out of this?"

"Well that's the only way you fucking respond. If you have a problem, tell me. I can't be in a relationship with a man-boy."

"Man-boy, Alina?!" He screamed while whispering. "Excuse me." He said to another. I guessed that he left the conference.

"I'm so tired of this. Everything with you is so much more complicated."

"So you agree that my race bothers you!"

"Maybe!" I screeched.

A long awkward pause occurred. We said nothing for a couple minutes.

"Maybe when we broke up the first time, we should've stayed separated."

Those words cut through me.

"Yeah, probably."

I started laughing out of disbelief.

"Why are you laughing?" He asked solemnly.

"It's just so funny how you're about to break up with me because others can't accept that we want to be together despite our skin color. Maybe you weren't worth it."

We spent the next 25 minutes, heavy breathing on the phone with more words in our minds than our mouths allowed us to announce.

"Bye, Alina."

"Bye, Chris."