Chapter 13

"He is so lucky nothing worse happened to him. He had a deep cut in his arm, which we operated on this morning, fractures and a cut on his head, a good amount of bruising on his swelled up neck and a non serious back fracture." The doctor informed the bext day.

Tears rolled on my face.

"Thank God." I let out.

"Who are you to the patient?"

"I'm his wife." I responded knowing they wouldn't let me see him if I wasn't family.

"He is awake right now, but he needs to remain in the hospital for 2 weeks."

I shook my head and ran to his room to find him on the phone.

"Yes Umma. I'm fine. I'll be out soon. You don't have to leave Korea."

He looked at me.

"Umma, I'll talk to you later. Love you." He quickly hung up. "Hey." He directed towards me.

"You look horrible." I stated crying while laughing. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have let you leave. Now you're all bruised up and---"

"I love you. Alina James. From the moment I saw you in that bar. I love spending time with you, having sex with you, arguing with you. I was just too stupid to let go of my past."

My heart started beating fast.

I didn't say it back. "It doesn't work like this. This isn't a movie where everything will be forgiven just because you said you love me."

"I don't know how else I'm supposed to show you I'm sorry."

"Prove it." I answered.