Chapter 25

Kagome scanned the room slowly, surprised to see civilians in the meeting as well. In her years, civilians were only living in the village and not involved in the political manners of the shinobis. Ninjas protected them, and in return, they would do the small jobs in the village such as being a carpenter or a local teacher for civilians. Konoha was made of sixty percent of all active shinobis while the rest were retired or civilians. However, in the other forty percent, there were many who became genin or chunin who decided to take regular jobs and stay in the village. But when the time comes, it is still their duty to protect the village. That's why even if you decide to stop being active, you have to train at least one week a month to still be in the condition to fight. That was a rule Tobriama made with her when they planned the system.

In the year of Hiruzen's reign, the civilians unexpectedly formed the council for themselves after the Uchiha clan was gone. The council members were full of rich merchants or company owners who decided that they should have a voice in say in clan meetings. If they were not accepted, they claim they would stop their workload and the village's income would be diminished. For some reason, Hiruzen had agreed for them to join the meeting.

"I called this meeting because I believed that a new Hokage was needed."Danzo called out to the room, "After the major invasion from the enemy, Orochimaru, we see that the current Hokage barely managed to survive. We need someone new to protect the village."

Murmurs were heard from the civilians, but there was no sound coming from the clan leaders. The clan leaders sat in the middle while the civilian leaders sat in the ends. There was the Nara clan, the Hyuga clan, the Akimichi clan, the Inuzuka clan, the Aburame clan, and the Yamanaka clan all present. They all kept silent, their faces all serious. Kagome sensed the tension coming off from them.

Hiruzen smiled, "I see your point, Danzo. I do believe that I need to retire."

Kagome saw the tiny smirk coming from Danzo's lip, "Then I believed we should suggest and vote for a new one."

"Alright then, let's vote for a new Hokage," Hiruzen nodded, "Let's not waste time."

To Danzo's left sitting down was Koharu and Homura, the elders of the village. Kagome smiled at her old students but was ignored. It was like they did not recognize her.

"I propose Danzo to be the next Hokage."Homura spoke out, "I believe he can rule the village well and make Konoha safe."

"I second it," Koharu also added in.

Kagome frowned in her mind as her past students were helping Danzo. First, they ignored her, now they are supporting a man who killed only for himself? Something wasn't right.

"I disagree. I believe someone else is more fit to be Hokage," Jiraiya spoke out.

"I also agree with Jiraiya-same," the Nara clan leader spoke out, next to Kagome, "I do not think Danzo is the best fit for the new generation coming."

Kagome saw Danzo's jaw clenched in annoyance while smiling at the rest of the table members at the end, "I see..."

Hiruzen nodded, "Anyone else?"

"I would like to propose Jiraiya-sama as the next Hokage," The Nara clan leader again spoke out, "As one of the Three Sanin, he is well-matched with Orochimaru and can defend the village with any attacks."

"I see your point, but Jiraiya already stated to me that he would not be rooted down to one position," Hiruzen looked regretful that his student doesn't want to be Hokage, "We need someone else. Like Danzo."

What? What did Hiruzen just say? Kagome couldn't believe her ears as she heard his last sentence. Didn't he reject Danzo as the new Hokage? The council murmurs how Hiruzen might actually want Danzo to be Hokage.