"He'll kill you if we don't die in Mexico."

This time, I laughed. "Yeah, he'll be pissed. But Scott and Kira will be home."

The room fell quiet again, only the sound of our breathing breaking the silence. It calmed me to hear her beside me.

The nightmares that I experienced after being possessed by the Nogitsune had never completely subsided. Having Riley by my side grounded me; reminded me what was real.

I felt her hand squeeze mine gently as she gulped slightly. "Malia told me that Peter spoke to her at the game after she left."

A hollow feeling travelled through me at her words. Whenever Peter was involved with anything, it usually never ended well. And now with him being connected to both Malia and Riley, it was so much harder to just dismiss him and want him gone.

"Why?" I asked.

"He wants to help her find her mum," she replied softly. "The Desert Wolf."

"Yeah, we've been trying to help her, too. The codename is on the murderboard and everything."

"I know," she said quickly. "But Peter sounds sure that he can help her, apparently. I'm just worried about Malia."

"If there's anything I know about Malia, it's that she can protect herself," I told her, flashing back to our time in Eichen.

Riley laughed lightly. "She can. I just don't want her to allow a blindspot with him being our father."

I thought for a moment about her words. What were the chances that this connection was what brought Peter back to the real world? Made him a better person?
"Maybe this time, he actually is trying to help? Malia wants to meet her mum, and he wants to help her find her. That sounds like a good thing."

"It does. But that's what concerns me. He never does anything for anyone unless it benefits him. So, why help Malia?"

"Because she's his daughter," I answered simply. "Like you."

I felt her whole body tense up in my arms. Riley had accepted the fact at this point, but she still wasn't okay with it. I didn't blame her, either; I had no idea how I'd react to find out something like that.

"If it makes you feel better, we'll keep an eye on him. But until we know he's up to something, maybe it's best not to interfere."

"You're right," she sighed.

Running my fingers up and down her arm gently, I moved closer to her. "Just forget about all of that for a while, we both need some sleep. We've got a long trip tomorrow."

♧♤♢♡
✧・゚:*Riley*:・゚✧

We woke up early that next morning, getting changed and throwing some supplies in the back of the jeep. A spare set of clothes in case something happened, some food and some water.

After a quick breakfast and coffee, we got ready to go. Surprising me a little, Stiles made a stop at the Sheriff's station. Apparently, he actually was going to ask his father this time around.

We had barely stepped two feet into his office, before the Sheriff was quickly closing the door behind him and turning on us.
"You are not going to Mexico," the man hissed. "Neither of you are."

"Dad, Scott and Kira have been kidnapped and taken to Mexico. Okay?" Stiles tried to reason. "I think that's a pretty good reason for a trip to Mexico.

The man took a deep breath as he walked over to lean against his desk. "Okay. Even if Deaton is right about this. . . the best thing to do is to go through the proper channels."