34| Two Lines

Aadhya Malhotra

I let my tears out as I hugged my mother tightly. She rubbed my back whispering soothing words. I felt like I was a six year old, crying my heart out.

I never knew I missed my family this much, but being back in what I called, my home, it feels as though my mask is taken of.

"Girls don't cry" She said cupping my hands. "And they definitely don't blush"

I laughed. And I knew now I was blushing. She always did this, when I cried. And within moments, I'll be back to my old self.

"I missed you, so much. Sometimes, I cry at night, thinking of you. You're alone here, Bhabhi is here, but I don't know, I couldn't control myself, thinking what and all Dadi must have said----"

"Diya. Diyaa. I was fine. I'm fine. I'm happy, more than you can imagine. My daughters are married, they have a nice family and more importantly the best partner, for their life. What does a mother need"

"Why do girls have to go to other family, why can't the boy go"

"Interesting question, which I myself asked your Nani, but all I got was a weak smile. But I'm not giving you that, Diya, whatever anyone says, Women are the strongest. She's not afraid of anything. She balances everything on her own. She doesn't take help. She turns the house into a home. And guess what, she's happy with her achievements, and she doesn't fail"

"You are going for a motivation class, aren't you?"

We laughed as she hit my arm playfully.

"Did Rehan called? Is he okay?" Maa asked as I laid on her lap, while she caressed my hair.

"Yes, yes. He's good" I played with my mangalsutra, thinking about him.

It's been a week. Everything is back to normal yet I miss his cheesy lines and that infamous laugh. We Facetime whenever he gets free, and I'm having continuous headache these week, and according to him it's Rehan-sick, just like homesick. That guy is mad.

I came here today early in the morning, Papa has surgery in the hospital and Sanjay is available only at 7 AM, so he dropped me here.

"Kiara, is here. Wash your face and go. I've made your favourite thing for lunch" Mom said pulling me, hearing the horn.

Grabbing the Tiffin and washing my face, I ran down to Kiara. She had come with her bike. I waved at her before sitting behind her.

" My mother nature blessed me last night, and I never thought I'll be able to pick you today" She said as we rode.

"My mother nature is in vacation for the past month" I grinned looking at her in the mirror.

"You lucky bitch, she didn't welcome you last month?"

"Nope. Wait, even the month before that too, just a little spot, that's it"

"What the hell!" Kiara said pulling the brakes. The vehicles behind us started to yell. This girl, want us to die.

"What are you doing! Go! Kiaraaaaa" I pushed her shoulders, and she started the bike only to stop on the roadside.

"What was that?" I scolded.

She got down from the bike, removing the helmet she looked at me with a smile.

"Do you even know what you are saying" She shook me and I looked at her confused.

"Do you even know what you are doing" I shook her by the shoulders and she took a sigh.

"Woman, you didn't had periods for the past two months!"