46| Teenage Hormones

Rehan Malhotra

What the fuck did I drink last night? I sat up on the bed pulling my hair. I smell of yesterday. Funny smell.

I grabbed a towel from the wardrobe and went to take shower. The cold water calmed my head and when I looked into the mirror I saw the cut on the corner of my lips and my stomach had a purple bruise. When I touched it with a bit of force it pained a little. I decided to buy ointment on the way to the hospital and get out of the bathroom with a towel around my waist.

"Rehan?" Kavya pushed the door open. She quickly turned back. "I'm sorry."

I grabbed a shirt and pants from my luggage. We are still living in Chacha's house. No one is ready to move back. That made me think about Rhea and Jiya. The last I heard about them was when Dad mentioned he's taking them to a psychiatrist.

He wanted to make them alright.

"I'm decent," I said pulling my head through the shirt.

"I wanted a lift. I heard you go to the hospital every day." She said her eyes settling into mine. "He's alone, right."

"He is," I said. My son is alone and I can't do anything to him alright. "I'll grab the keys. You wait down."

"Okay." She said hurrying back. I took my phone from yesterday's Jean. The battery was dead. I got my power bank and plugged it in.

Rushing down the stairs I could picture Ved and Kavya arguing but couldn't figure out why.

"You and Ved argued yesterday?" I asked once we settled inside the car.

"Nothing to worry about," Kavya said looking down. "How is Aadhya?" Kavya asked as I pulled the car out of the house.

"She is fine." I hope.

"I know I can't and I won't poke into your business, but I have to tell you that please don't lose yourself in your sorrows."

"I'm perfectly fine. I'm not losing anything."

"yesterday Aadhya called asking if you were home. she was worried. Everyone was worried about you. And then hours later you crawled home heavily drunk."

"I was with friends."

"Oh yes. Your friends are calling for a party after what has happened around you!"

"You're right. You don't need to poke your head in my business." I firmly replied. Rest of the drive we didn't talk anything. I stopped the car where she asked me to and without saying anything she got out of the car. I also wasn't interested in talking to her. She doesn't need to teach me what are my responsibilities.

I drove to the hospital to see Ryan. Aadhya was already present outside the NICU. I ran my hand through my hair and neck. If she asks me anything I don't know whether to lie or say the truth.

"Hey," I said standing behind her. Our son in front of us. Even though we couldn't touch or be beside him we could see that he was improving as the days goes by. His colour was changing and within a few days, he'll open his eyes. Then Aadhya will be able to hold him. But it'll still be days for me to hold him.

"He's growing," I said looking at Aadhya who still was intently looking at our son. "What? You are not talking to me?"

She doesn't reply.

"Aadhya this is not funny."

She turned around and started to walk. I begin to follow her and then Dad, in his blue gown, followed by mom crossed our path.

"I was going to go to surgery but then heard you're here. Couldn't miss this chance otherwise you would have been too busy getting drunk in the evening."