Chapter Thirty

Frida entered Benny's hospital room. It was after eight at night, the place was almost in total darkness except for the dim light of the lamp that was in a corner. She entered stealthily trying not to wake Benny up, Laura told her that he had presented pain in the back so the nurse applied intravenous antibiotics which made him sleep. Frida regretted not being there when Benny woke up. She had to go to the gallery to receive merchandise and to send some orders, she tried to vacate early but couldn't.

She approached the stretcher and admired Benny's face that was subtly illuminated by the light of the lamp, he looked so relaxed that she could not help caressing his cheek with her finger. She took a seat on the sofa next to the stretcher, maybe she couldn't talk to him but being by his side was enough for her. That night Laura would stay with Benny and Frida would go home to sleep so she wanted to take advantage of that little moment with him, hopefully he would wake up.

"I know you're asleep," Frida began to say quietly, "but I want you to know that I'm here," she took his hand and stroked it. "I'm very proud of you, your mother told me that you managed to move your feet, that's wonderful, isn't it? It will sound ironic but you are one step away from achieving what you long for. Well done honey."

Frida stayed a while longer just watching Benny sleep, she was also tired and longed for her bed. So after a while she said goodbye to him with a sweet 'Good night love' in his ear and left the room the same wiggle she entered, ready to go home...

The next morning Benny woke up very early, he was a little disappointed when he saw that Frida was not there, he hoped that when he woke up he would see her by his side. His mother was asleep on the sofa, which to tell the truth looked very comfortable. He smiled to himself. If there could be someone more enthusiastic about the operation than himself that person would be his mother, he couldn't be more grateful to have her with him, she was his treasure.

Half an hour after just looking at the walls Benny realized he was hungry, the day before he had fallen asleep early and had eaten nothing but jelly and juice. He pressed the emergency button and wait for the nurse.

A couple of minutes later a young nurse entered the room. "Good morning Mr. Andersson, how are you today?" She asked gently.

"Good morning, very good, thank you. I was wondering if I could have breakfast now, I'm really hungry." Benny answered quietly trying not to wake Laura up.

"Sure sir, I'll bring breakfast as soon as possible." She took the file and started reading it. "Do you have any discomfort?"

"Not yet,"

"Okay, well, I'm going to call Doctor Larsson to come in for the morning check-up while his breakfast is ready, it's that fine for you?"

"That sounds great, thank you very much,"
Benny said with a warm smile.

"You're welcome," the nurse put the file in place and quietly left the room.

Forty minutes later Benny was having breakfast and watching television. Laura had already woken up and had even taken a shower, now she was on the sofa reading a book.

"So what did the doctor tell you?" Laura asked looking up from the book.

Benny took a sip of his orange juice before answering his mother. "Well... he said after breakfast he would come and we would do the litmus test or something like that,"

Laura frowned, "What does that mean?"

"What we will see if my legs work," Benny sighed. "I cannot wait,"

"As soon? I mean, you just had surgery yesterday, isn't it dangerous if you stand up?" She asked with mortification.

"If the doctor said it could be today it is because there is no danger, I suppose. Don't worry mother, "