Chapter Twenty-Eight

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy Birthday dear Frida... happy birthday to you.

Benny's soft singing in her ear woke Frida up. A smile instantly settled on her lips. It was her birthday. She opened her eyes and found Benny looking at her tenderly, he had already got up and had a large rectangular white box with a red bow on his lap.

"Happy birthday, love of my life,"

"Thank you honey and good morning," Frida said smilingly as she sat up in bed.

"Very good I would say. Today you woke up more beautiful than ever,"

"And older," she said with a chuckle.

Benny rolled his eyes in amusement, "Women..."

"Excuse me?" Frida raised her perfectly delineated eyebrow.

"Nothing. We will not argue on your birthday." He said with a nervous giggle. "I have something for you,"

"Aww, thanks, you shouldn't have bothered, really,"

"Here," Benny held out the box to Frida and she took it with a questioning look. "I hope you like it,"

Frida carefully undid the large red ribbon that decorated the box creating a bow and then lifted the large lid. The content was covered with a thin white paper. Frida looked at Benny amused and he winked at her. When Frida removed the delicate paper, a set of fifty professional JACK RICHESON oil paints and a box of the highest quality brushes appeared in front of her eyes. Frida let out a small shriek and her eyes sparkled. "Oh Benny!"

"You like it?"

"I love it! Thank you so much honey," she put the box on the bed and stood up to sit on Benny's lap and hug him with her healthy arm.

"Truly? I don't know much about this, if they're not the indicated paintings I can change them. You're the professional here," he said with a frown.

"Not! They are perfect! It's a great detail on your part, thank you very much," she said before placing her lips on his. Benny welcomed her, kissed her gently as he stroked her cheek with his thumb.

"I'm glad you like it," said Benny with a big smile, he had asked Sygni for help choosing the paintings and she had been more than happy to help him. "And I don't know if it's a surprise for you, but I've made breakfast. What an omelet with mushrooms sounds like accompanied with succulent cinnamon roll hotcakes,"

"Mmm... that last one sounds like diabetes, but overall great. Who would say that I have my private chef at home,"

"Only and exclusively for you," Benny said before kissing her again. "Shall we go to the dining room then?"

"Give me five minutes and I'll be with you out there, I need to use the bathroom," Frida said as she rose from his lap.

"Do you feel bad?"

"It's nausea," she replied making a disgusted face.

"Maybe it's the baby's way of saying 'happy birthday, mommy,'" Benny said trying to lighten things up.

"What a way to manifest!" she said, heading for the bathroom.

An hour later Benny and Frida had finished breakfast. Benny was determined to make feel Frida pleased, happy and loved. The breakfast had been a success, Frida didn't stop admiring Benny's culinary skills. He was in charge of picking up the dishes and washing them while she went to her bedroom and dressed in something other than her pajamas. She dressed in tracksuit pants, tennis shoes and a sweatshirt, maybe it was her birthday but she wanted to feel as comfortable as possible, also considering that it was very cold. She was about to cross the threshold of her bedroom door when Zappa ran up to her and fell to her feet.