Chapter 16

SOPHIA

It was a little after midnight and Sophia was still trying to get to sleep and yet failed every time. Instead of pleasant shut-eye, she tossed and turned on the long leather sofa. 

Looks could be deceiving, I guess. What she assumed would be a very comfortable couch were getting more and more less comfortable with each night. 

Oh how she longed for a bed. An actually bed. And a place to stretch out freely and put her feet instead of them hanging off the edge as to now kick a sleep police dog in the face. 

She loved Easton and didn't mind his company at night but the dog took up more space on the couch than you'd assume. 

She sighed. Temporarily giving up as she lay on her back, the blanket barely covering her as it lay somewhat over her middle, her torso and most of her legs exposed to the cool air conditioning. 

It was also a rainy not. Just then a strike of lightning appeared, making the window glow white for a brief second. The sound of the rain was calm and nice to listen to. 

She looked over to the small coffee table and spotted the bag of beef jerky that Jack had got her a few days ago. Reaching for it, she picked it up. Laying down, she tore open the package and took out a piece of beef jerky and popped it in her mouth. It was actually really good, she ate another one immediately. 

More lightning came through the window followed by a loud boom of thunder. Then that's when she heard it, a cry...or howl. 

She ate another piece of the beef jerky when the sound happened again. 

Looking down at Easton she realized where the sound was coming from. She immediately sat up and reached for instead but he sprang up then and bolted off the couch. 

Easton ran off the couch. Another lightning and more thunder only escalated Easton's rambunctiousness. He ran around the penthouse, going back and forth, like a bat out of hell. 

"Easton!" Sophia yelled. "Stop!" She got up from the couch, going after the K-9, trying to get him to calm down. "Easton, want a treat?" She spoke, throwing a piece of beef jerky at him, not wanting to get to close. 

Easton ignored her and just ran straight past, almost knocking her over. She flailed her arms helplessly and thought she would fall down to the floor in a hapless crash but then...didn't. 

Instead she remained upright, and comforted? Strong arms wrapped around her, holding her close to a firm chest. Wait, no? A firm, exposed chest. 

Sophia turned her head to meet the cool clue gaze of her hapless protector. "Hi." She left out, meekly. 

Jack let her go and immediately asked, "what's going on?" 

"I don't know." Sophia stated. "Easton's freaking out." Pause. "I'm trying to get him under control but he won't listen!" 

As if to punctuate her statement, more lightning happened followed by thundered boomed. 

"Can you do something?" Sophia asked Jack. 

Jack just smirked as he walked off to the kitchen. "No." 

"Why not?" 

"What do you expect me to do?" He's a dog. He doesn't like thunderstorms." 

"Excuse me?" 

Jack just shrugged. 

"So let me get this straight…" Sophia started. "Your trained police dog, who spent months in some secret training camp learning to take down criminals-" 

"Yes?" Jack interrupted, clearly enjoying himself. 

"-is afraid of a little thunder." 

Suddenly a loud boom of thunder assaulted the atmosphere causing Sophia to jump. 

Jack laughed. "Seems like he's not the only one." 

Sophia playfully slapped his chest. And just as soon as her hand left his chest she wished it didn't. Damn, Jack was fine! But she tried not to think about it. 

They walked back out into the living room area where Easton was literally bouncing off the walls. Running around. Jumping on couches and then immediately jumping off. 

Suddenly he ran past Sophia. Brushing up against her legs quickly and this time went tumbling down to the floor...bringing Jack with her. 

They both hit the floor. Jack lay on his back. Sophia lay on top of him. Her palms were flat against his smooth chest. Their faces were close as they ever been when they finally made eye contact. 

"Hey." Sophia spoke breathlessly, nearly having the wind knock out of her by the rambunctious K-9. 

"Hey." Jack replied in kind. 

For a moment, Sophia thought about leaning in. Why not? It would be easy. All she had to do was lean down the last few inches and she would be kissing Jack. But decided against it, especially when she caught sight of the bright white tan line on her ring finger. If she did have a husband, was married, she thought he wouldn't take kindly to his wife kissing another man. 

Sophia found her bearings and sat up. Standing up on her feet she reached a hand out for Jack, helping him stand as well. 

"So what do we do now?" Sophia asked. 

And then Jack spoke next. It was the six words she wasn't expecting to hear flow out smoothly from his mouth, "you want to sleep with me?" 

****

Sophia followed Jack up the stairs...to his bedroom…where she happily let visions of the hot cop dance through her head. 

Okay, well, that's not true. 

Actually, it was just a certain part of him. You know, that small part of his waist that appeared when a man's pants hung a bit too low on his hips? Yeah...that was in her head.

An Officer, The K9, And MeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara