Chapter 7

JACK

Jack drove him and Sophia back home. The rest of the evening deemed to be quite enjoyable. Turns out talking with someone with amnesia over strawberry milkshakes with your K-9 partner sitting next to you at the booth was quite refreshing.

But one thing in particular stuck with Jack from the night.

How about Star? Jack could still hear the soft way she said it. The girl who is now looking nonchalantly out the passenger side window as Jack drove them both back to his place.

Jack cleared his throat, breaking the silence between them. "How you doing?"

Sophia looked over at Jack briefly and than back out the window. "I'm good," she paused. "That milkshake was delicious."

"That it was," Jack agreed. "That place is basically one of the only places that stay open really late in this town."

"Because of the bar?" Sophia inquired.

"If you ask me, I'd rather have ice cream."

****

Within minutes Jack was pulling up into his driveway. He lived downtown in a penthouse and Sophia's eyes widened as she looked out at the large brick facade structure in front of them.

"You live here?" Sophia asked.

"Yep." Jack stated casually.

Getting out of the car and shutting the door, Sophia inquired, "but you're a cop?"

"And?"

"You must have one hell of a salary."

Jack bit his tongue as not to laugh as he pressed in his code to enter the building.

They both rode the elevator in silence. Pristine cherrywood surrounded the two as a soft, melodic music played throughout the small space. Suddenly, it stopped on the tenth floor.

"Let me guess," Sophia mused. "The top floor...?

"No." Jack stated incredulously. "I'm just a cop."

Stepping out of the elevator and crossed the small hallway, Jack opened the door leading into his place. The door opened into an open concept floor plan. Cool gray walls and dark hardwood floors paint the picture of clean elegance.

The living room to the left held a large enough sofa able to fit at least three, in a dark coal color. A love seat of the same color sits adjacent to the sofa while a large flat screen t.v hangs on the wall.

"Nice place." Sophia stated calmly as she stepped further into the room, taking in the new surroundings.

"Thanks." Jack replied from behind her as the resounding click of the door closed back into place. Heading up the stairs, Jack stopped mid-way and turned back to Sophia, "feel free to wander. I'll be right back."

Turning towards the sound of his voice, Sophia asked, "where are you going?"

"I was just going to change out of my uniform," Jack explained. "I can bring you your sweats too so you can change?"