Chapter 10

Sophia

"Here, take my car." The girl from the bar spoke as she threw a set of keys towards a man.

They were caught by someone on the other side of the room. There was a man's voice. It was muffled, but there was no denying it had to be a man. "Thanks." He said as the keys jingled as he caught them in his hands.

"I'll be back as soon as I can."

Sophia let out a small exhale as she woke up. She stretched out on the couch and stopped when she felt Easton at her feet.

Easton stirred and perked his head up.

"Sorry," Sophia mumbled.

Having not knowing the time, Sophia looked around while thinking about what she just remember. Could've been a dream? But it didn't feel like one.

She wished she could go and talk with Jack but he had to go in and work night shift tonight so he was gone.

She flung the blanket off of herself and got up, making her way to the kitchen. Turning on the faucet, she poured herself a glass of water.

There's was something on the counter that caught her eye. It was a cell phone and underneath it there was a note.

Taking a sip from the glass, she set it down on the counter and picked up the cell phone in one hand and the note in the other.

It read:
I'm leaving you my personal cell phone. I have my work cell phone with me. Please don't hesitate to call me if you need anything.
x - Jack

Turning the sheet of paper over to see if there was anything else, Sophia set the paper back down. She looked over at the cell phone in her other hand and turned it on. She swiped her finger over the screen and smiled at the picture on display. It was a picture of Jack and a small puppy that kind of looked like Easton just younger. Jack looked really younger to in the photo, his hair a bit shorter than it is now. Not to mention, he had the most dorky smile on his face anyone in the history of mankind.

Suddenly, a text pinged.

It was from Jack.

Sophia smirked. Jack was texting himself.

It read:

Jack: This is Jack. If you want to talk, I'm here.

Sophia read the text and sent a reply but stopped short when she saw the video call button. Deliberating for about half a second, she pressed it before setting the phone on the counter and running her fingers through her hair.

After a moment, Jack picked up. He looked good, of course. And he smiled warmly.

"Someone call a cop?" Jack laughed at his own joke. "What gives? Why am I starring at my ceiling?"

Sophia rushed to pick the phone back up. "Sorry," she offered in a breath. A huff. "How's my hair?"

Jack shrugged. "Could be better."

Sophia glared at the man through the screen. Then her eyes widened. "Wait are you in your patrol car?" She asked, noticing the edge of a seat belt running down Jack's torso.

Jack nodded. "I am but don't worry," he trailed off as he switched the camera angle to show what's in front of him. It was a view out the windshield of his car. He was parked at a corner of a four-way intersection. Suddenly, the camera view was back on Jack. "I'm parked at what we cops call a speed trap."

"Speed trap?" Sophia asked.

"Yeah. We've been getting tips about putting flying through this intersection without stopping so now I'm here just waiting."

"Sounds exciting." Sophia rolled her eyes and offered a slight laugh.

Jack shrugged. "Definitely is quiet. I wish I had Easton with me." After a beat, he added, "where is he?"

"Asleep on the couch," Sophia stated, and then, "almost kicked him when I got up but he didn't seem to mind."

Jack smiled. "He's been through worse."

"Seriously."

"It's the life of a police dog. They handle the things police officers necessarily can't handle handle on their own. But it's fine, because they love it more then we do." Jack explained.

"Really?"

"Easton especially. He would always be the one waiting by the door, waiting for me. He was so excited to get to work." Jack's eyes went downcast for a while before perking back up again. "Sorry."

"It's cool." Sophia trailed off before adding, "I think I might have remembered...something."

Jack's interest piqued. "That's great. What was it?"

"How much do you know about that bartender?"

Jack shook his head, tongue in cheek. "What bartender?"

"The one at Sugar n' Spice."

"Catie?"

"That's her name. It's just, before she dropped the glass she looked at man and said, 'oh shit'" Sophia explained before adding, "and she dropped the glass after she said it."

After a beat, Jack offered, "I mean, I don't really know her personally but I'll ask Ron. After all, he just hired her like two weeks ago."

Sophia smiled. "It's fine. It's just a lottle frustrating I can't remember anything."

"I bet." Jack said. "Anything else happen?"

"I noticed something."

"What is it?" Jack asked.

"The photo set as your display on your phone." Sophia smiled.

Jack suddenly seemed a bit flustered. "What about it?"

"Is it you and Easton?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Jack spoke. Then. "It was right before he got shipped off for his official K9 training."

"Shipped off? Like to another state?"

Jack nodded. "South Carolina. There was a K9 Training camp he was at for six months on his own and than I flew up there to see him and together we did a whole other six months so we learned how to work as team."

"Wow." Sophia nodded. Slowly biting her lip, "it's also very adorable too."

"Thanks." Jack smiled.

"I met Easton." Sophia deadpanned before laughing.

After a beat, Jack spoke again.

"Anything else happen?"

Sophia held up her left hand to the camera, showing off one bright white tan line on her ring finger. "I think I was married."