Prologue/ Chapter 1

Prologue

Sometimes love finds us when we least expect it to.

The majority of people are all well aware by now that there are many different places, circumstances, and situations where one could meet someone else. Whether that be a friend, a lover, or that one special person - soulmate? - the factors/statistics are off the charts.

However, I think my favorite way to meet someone lies in the serendipitous moments. The ones where you weren't expecting to meet anyone that day but, in a way, fate takes control and BOOM! suddenly there is a handsome man standing before you.

That is the kind that happened to me. On one fateful night following one particular tumultuous day.

He came to me. He found me with a literal beacon of light that later revealed to be just a flashlight.

I immediately felt safe with him. It wasn't just his job as a police officer that eased all of my nerves. A literal knight in shining armor.

I don't doubt for a second if he didn't have the uniform on, if I didn't know he was a cop, I would of been a lot more hesitant. But it was also a few other factors that contributed to our easy interactions.

First, it was the way he picked me up in his arms, a strong yet gentle grasp, and carried me over to his patrol car. He settled me down in the passenger seat. It was a tight squeeze but someone he made it work. The seats were made of leather so I wasn't nervous about the fact that my clothes were dripping wet and ruining the seats.

Second, it was his calm demeanor, and the way he approached the situation of having a girl who couldn't remember a thing about her life suddenly under his protection.

Third, it was just his personality in general. A few seconds in his presence and I felt immediately at ease in his company.

He never once left my side. Even when we got to the hospital and I was put on a gurney and rolled away from him, I knew he wouldn't have left my side.

Realistically, I know he had to leave at some point and finish up his shift, but he eventually came back to the hospital because he was right there the following morning with an offer.

The following morning as the doctor briefed me about my diagnosis; amnesia, I was in no uncertain terms, lost. I knew I had a life I had to get back to but if I couldn't remember a thing about it, how was I going to continue to be me. That's where Jack came in. He offered to let me stay at his place. In his guest room. In exchange for me looking after his police dog who was recently let go from the department for some inane reason.

Now I don't think it needs saying, but police dogs are a little bit different than the average domesticated dog. But still, I accepted the offer because, honestly, what other choice did I have.

I never felt unsafe while I was in his home. In a weird way, I felt like I belonged. With him. In his house. Which is weird, because up until our encounter where he rescued me, we have never met. Never had an encounter. Yet, I felt like him and me were meant to meet. He took care of me while I recovered. Well taken care of. I never ever got the impression that he wanted to take advantage of me. The entire time I was utterly and thoroughly, perfectly content.

He had a way of making you feel comfortable. Seeing how I didn't know a thing about myself, not even my name, he made me choose a temporary one. One that he could call me as a way to make me feel more like a person. I chose the name Star; albeit because of the one he wore pinned to his uniform. Not that I was starring, although he was a man that wasn't bad to look at...especially in his uniform.