Chapter 24

A/N: With the above image I would just like to declare to everyone that CUDDLES. ARE. ESSENTIAL!! No excuses! Image courtesy of Instagram: thek9quinn

****

The water flowed from the shower head onto the cold tiles.

Jack stood starring at it flowing freely. His clothes were still on as he debating getting in. He knew that he screwed up starting something he wasn't sure he wanted to follow through on.

He knew Sophia still sat downstairs probably confused about what was going through his head.

If only, Jack could explain it to himself.

If only...

Here's the thing: Jack had wanted to. His desire for his little amnesia girl was made evident by the powerhouse in his pants as he kissed her and his hands roaming her body, her sweet little ass perched on the edge of his washing machine.

It wasn't his desire that was the problem. It never was.

The problem was his vigilance. His uncanny ability to notice the most small out of sort details about any and all things - it's one of the things that make him a phenomenal police officer.

So when he looked down at the girl's hand and he spotted that damned tan line, he froze. He knew he couldn't do it despite the fact that he wanted too. His morals wouldn't allow it. It was like private property - the worst kind - another man's property. The tan line unmistakably assumes there was once a ring there and though he didn't know the story at all, he still couldn't bring himself to establish a plot twist by taking what he wanted even if there was someone else.

As soon as he saw the evidence of the placement of a wedding band - the promise of someone else that this girl had inevitably wanted to accept - he couldn't betray his morals. Sleeping with another man's wife went against his moral compass completely.

Jack breathed a deep sigh through his nose and exhaled as he shut the water off in the shower. He wasn't quite ready for a shower. He needed to think. To clear his mind. His erection was long ago gone, the act of stupidly starring off into space was sufficient enough but he still felt like he should talk to someone. So he called the one person he was closest to the most.

He found her number in his contacts and clicked on it, dialing her number. He pressed the phone to hus ear and heard it ring. And ring. And ring. But to no avail.

So he called the second person he was closest to next. This time, he seemed to pick up on the first ring.

"Well if it isn't my little brother," Jack's older brother Damian greeted through the phone. "What do I owe the pleasure?"

"Got a minute?"

"Yeah. I'm just sitting here clocking for speeders. What's up?"

Jack smiled. Much like himself, his brother, Damian, was a cop too. He was seven years older and been in the line of duty for about three more years than Jack has been.

"So...what did you want to talk about?"

Jack raked a hand through his hair. "I have a girl."

The unmistakable sound of a laugh came through the phone. "It's about time."

"What's that's suppose to mean?"

"Come on, Jack, you're not exactly actively seeking out girls. You only got Staucey because she's best friends with Eliana."

"Staucey and I are done."

"Not so done that she still pays the rent on the penthouse you guys were meant to build a life in."