Chapter 28

"I'll tell you what..."

Jack looked up from the notepad at the other police officer. The man stood with his hands on his hips facing away looking across the street. 

"That coffee shop is by far the best place to take a shit while on duty."

Confused, Jack spoke, "I thought you said the fire station was the best place to take a shit while on duty."

The other officer turned and said, "oh it is!" Pause. "But coffee shops are a good close second. Not to mention-"

The other officer stopped mid-sentence at the commotion across the street. The sound of high-pìtched wails from a woman being chased by a dog.

The other officer narrowed his eyes as he said to Jack. "Was that your K9?"

"Shit." Jack muttered. He slipped the notepad back in his pocket, "get in the car."

As they both got in the patrol car, Jack flipped his lights and sirens on and drove after the chaos.

"Who's the girl in the red blouse?" The other officer asked. When Jack offered nothing in response, he added, "she's fast." Pause. "And she's in heels!"

Jack finally spoke. "What's your point?"

"I'm just saying a girl like that is a real spitfire a guy doesn't let go of easily. And if he does he's an idiot."

Jack gripped the steering wheel as he pulled the patrol car to a stop. He reached into the glove compartment for the extra dog leash and both exited the vehicle.

The woman was now on the ground trying to fight off Easton who had his jaw clamped on her leg. From the way her sweatpants were slowly being torn, Jack knew she wasn't actually being hurt. Still, he rushed over and grabbed Easton by the collar and yanked him off.

The woman's sweatpants torn completely in the back revealing the scarred and bruised skin beneath.

Jack clipped the leash to Easton's collar as he held him back as the other officer rushed to apprehend the woman.

"Stop resisting!" The other officer exclaimed as he struggled.

Jack handed the leash over to Sophia. "Hold this. I have to help him."

As Sophia stood by watching the scene unfold, Cate walked up.

"What'd I miss?" Cate asked.

Sophia shrugged. "Not much." She glanced over and narrowed her eyes. "Are you eating my muffin?"

"I was hungry and you ran away." Cate explained. "And technically, it's a third muffin I ordered after you ran off to chase that drug addict." Pause. "Anyways here's your coffee." She said and held out the cup and Sophia accepted.

"Hello again." The other officer stood before Cate. "Do you remember me?"

Cate's eyes widened with delight. "From the coffee shop from earlier, yes. You overhead me saying I wanted to fuck a cop and you got excited."

"Is the moment right for you now."

Cate smirked. "Perhaps." She took a moment to admire the way his uniform seemed to cling to hard muscles before clearing her throat. "But calm down there..." She trailed off and glanced at his name plate before continuing, "Officer R. Sherman. This story isn't about us." Cate said and took another bite of muffin.

"The 'R' stands for Ricky." Officer Sherman offered.

Cate and Officer Sherman walked away and Sophia turned back to watch the scene unfold. With Easton by her side she drank some more of her coffee.

"You stupid American pigs!" The woman spat. "You deserve to be bent over with an apple in your mouth and roasted on a spit with the stick you already have shoved so far up your own ass."

Jack just nodded, seemingly unaffected by the threat. "Your English is getting better and better Miss Rodriguez."

"Fuck you, pendejo!"

A burning rage suddenly filled Sophia to the brim much like the coffee she held in her hands, when she had an idea. She walked a few inches towards the woman and pretended to trìp, sending iced coffee sliding down the woman's back.

"You bitch!" The woman spat.

"It was an accident! I swear!" Sophia apologized fakely before stepping back away.

She smirked to herself, and silently thought. No one threatens my police officer!

The sound of a car door shutting caused both to look over at the patrol car that just pulled up.

A female police officer approached. Her eyes widened in delight and Easton reciprocated, his tail flapping in the air as she reached down to scratch behind his ears. Her voice was soft as she spoke, "I've missed you down at the substation, buddy." Then, regaining professionalism, she turned to Jack. "What seems to be the problem here?" She asked before noticing the woman in handcuffs sitting on the curb. She sighed, "hello again, Miss Rodriguez."

Jack leaned over to explain. "She appeared to have something in her anal cavity. Definite cavity search is needed."

"Yep." The female officer sighed as she snapped on a pair of gloves. She went to the woman and grabbed her arms hoisting her up. "Alright let's walk over to my patrol car now." She spoke as if guiding a small child. Jack helped as the woman resisted.

Soon, Jack walked back over.

"I think he misses it." Sophia said.

"What do you mean? Who misses what?"

"Easton." Sophia clarified. "I think he misses being out on-duty with you."

Jack smiled as he glanced down at Easton before he said, "He's not the only one."

A moment of silence passed as Sophia caught a glimpse over at Jack. One brief moment turned into her not being able to look away from the man in uniform and as she did she suddenly felt a strong desire to ride him while he's responding Code 3.