Chapter 25

Wayne Manor Sunday

Nerissa woke up a few times during the night to check on her door, when she finally saw it closed she slept soundly till morning knowing that Jason was back. When the sun rose Thirteen's constant mewling woke Nerissa up and made her get out of bed to open the door for her cat, who just sat inside the door frame.

"In or out."

meow

"Don't stare at me like that young lady!"

meow

"Do you want to eat? Is that what this is about?"

To Nerissa's surprise the cat nods.

"Did you just nod?" Thirteen just tilted her head, "okay, if you want to eat jump on the bed and then on that chair."

Thirteen executed the orders leaving Nerissa shocked and excited.

"Well I'll be! Chas was right, I can speak to animals. Okay let me change and we'll get food." she closed the bedroom door after checking if anyone had overheard her conversation with the cat, the corridor was deserted.

Nerissa and Thirteen made their way down the stairs to be welcomed by Alfred the Cat who was also mewling.

"Come on you two."

She went to the kitchen followed by both cats, she felt a bit uneasy wandering in the manor without Alfred or any of the Waynes around, but she wasn't going to wake them to feed the cats. She knew where the basic things were, cat food and coffee. She prepared a pot, and started filling the cats' bowls. She went outside with her coffee for a morning smoke, it was a peaceful morning, a slight cold breeze brushed against her face as she sat down on her usual bench. If all her mornings were like this maybe she could become a morning person.

Nerissa decided to work on the painting, she had lost an entire day of work yesterday and since everyone was still sleeping there would be no distractions. She went to the ballroom that was serving as her art studio and started mixing her colors. She felt her hands shaking a bit so she decided to work on the couch and curtains. She plugged her headphones into her cell and turned on her favorite playlist. She worked around the faces trying not to think about Jason's eyes and how hard it is to mix their color right. Thinking about that reminded her of Friday, falling into his arms and then the fear toxin, her rape, her death, her parents, whatever John might find, all of it over and over. She stepped away from the painting, troubled, painting usually kept her mind off of things but not today, she looked down at her phone it had been a few hours.

Nerissa walked to the kitchen to refill her coffee. Everyone, except for Bruce, seemed to be up and coming in and out through the door leading to the dining room

"Good morning my dear, you are just in time for breakfast."

"Good morning Alfred, I'm just getting more coffee, I don't eat much in the morning."

"Uh oh! GUYS Nerissa's about to get Alfred-ed." said Tim trying to avoid Alfred's glare.

They all came rushing into the kitchen to watch.

"Drake if anything it should be Pennyworth-ed, it is the superior terminology."

"Shut it brat or we'll miss it!" said Jason.

Hearing Jason's voice made her heart jump, all the negative feelings that were haunting her just vanished at the sound of his voice.

"Finish setting the table," glared Alfred at them before turning to Nerissa who just stood there, "my dear, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, join them and if you still don't find appetite then be it." He gave her a warm smile before reaching for a box of cereals and handing it to Dick without even looking at Dick.