Chapter 32

Wayne Manor Monday

Nerissa woke up alone in Damian's bed. She hurried to her room to change, her chest was still hurting, it was weird, it hadn't hurt that much in years. She went downstairs to find Alfred, he must know where Damian was.

"Good morning Alfred," she sat down as the old butler handed her a cup of coffee, "thanks."

"Good morning my dear," he kept it short, Nerissa could feel his bad mood.

"Have you seen Damian?" she asked carefully.

"He is spending the day at the Kent farm," Alfred noticed Bruce lurking about, "excuse me my dear."

Alfred was back a few seconds later.

"I'm afraid the young Masters and Miss Cain are still sleeping, do you wish to wait for them for breakfast?"

"Sure," she could feel his discomfort, "would you join me for coffee or tea?" she smiled as he sat down.

"What's on your mind my dear?" he wasn't supposed to ask her that, he was the one who's upset.

"Just something Damian said yesterday," she looked down at her coffee, "I don't mean to pry, but what's the deal with his mother?"

"It is rather complicated I'm afraid," Alfred sighed.

"Was-is she abusive?" Nerissa avoided Alfred's eyes.

"She trained him to be a weapon, he chose a different path, let's just say affection was never an attribute of the Al Ghuls," Alfred sighed again, "I'm afraid Master Bruce isn't good at showing his either."

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked," she started standing up, "I should get to the painting."

"Nonsense, we have much to discuss for tonight," he smiled, "the date is tonight, is it not?"

"It is," she blushed.

"Very well, what are you favorite dishes and desserts? I will surprise you with the menu, I just need a list to choose from."

"Uh- I didn't-, well, we just discussed the outfit I forgot about the rest," she admitted blushing again.

"Master Jason gave me the itinerary for your evening."

They discussed food for a while, Nerissa couldn't believe that Jason had planned the whole night, she was so happy she forgot about her chest pain and everything that came with it. Until the pain shot again.

"Do-do you think this is a mistake?" she asked Alfred before she could stop herself.

"You and Master Jason? On the contrary, this is the happiest I've ever seen him," he admitted with a smile, "what worries you my dear?"

"He got shot."

"It is part of this life I'm afraid."

"Because of me," she added.

"It was the shooter's fault, and only the shooter's." Alfred, ever the gentleman.

"It could happen again," she felt so at ease around Alfred.

"It will, as much as I hate it; this is who he is."

"I know, and I would never ask him to give it up, Red Hood saved me 3 times, I'm just worried he won't-" she stopped glancing at the door.

"Whatever you tell me stays here my dear," Alfred smiled.

"I'm worried he won't accept all of me, my past, my-" she blurted out, "he deserves better, so much better," 'than someone who went to hell' she thought.