Chapter 14

Sunday, Wayne Manor, the dining room

The sound of the cutlery clinging was the only sound in the dining room. Nerissa was only looking at her plate, trying to resist the urge to look at Jason, she was focusing on her food. Until Damian 'accidentally' bumped his elbow with hers causing her to drop her fork on the floor. She tried to get up to grab it, but to everyone's surprise Damian picked it up and went to the kitchen to get her another before Alfred could. The boys understood Damian was trying to get her DNA, Cassandra knew Damian's body language so well, she knew it was no accident. Bruce on the other hand was so focused on trying to deflate the tension that he did not notice the silent exchange that happened right under his nose. Dick decided to break the silence that was weighing on everyone and ask a question that was burning on his tongue for a week now. 

"So Jay did you go fully nude?" 

Both Nerissa and Jason choked on their food, Tim and Damian were snickering, even Cassandra smirked for a second, Bruce however was not amused. He quickly took control of the conversation to spare both Nerissa and Jason the awkwardness on the table. 

"So, Nerissa here, is a very talented painter, Alfred and I both agreed that it was time for a family portrait and we are in the midst of negotiating terms, are we not Nerissa?" she was gulping wine hoping to die again right here right now, alcohol poisoning? cardiac arrest? anything to just disappear from this table. She only managed to nod. She saw that Dick was about to start talking again, she braced herself to whatever awkward thing he was going to say.

"That's a great idea! How are we going to manage though? We all have jobs and schools and you know lives, as I'm sure she does too." phew that's easy enough to answer. 

"It depends really on what we agree, Mister W- I mean Bruce suggested single portraits as well, I can take pictures and work from them, or we can try to find a day a week where we're all free for the family portrait, but it's going to take time, and it also depends on the dimensions of each painting, if they'll be anything like the ones I saw on my way to the study I can't work on them at my apartment, the canvas won't make it through the door." she was looking at them while talking, avoiding Jason of course, "And I do have two jobs at the moment, so I don't know how it would work, I mean it's an amazing opportunity for me but it needs a little bit of planing." The boys knew they had to convince her to take the job if they were to uncover anything Bruce was hiding, Damian gave Dick a look they were both on board, Jason was not too fond of the idea of spending time in the manor, but he couldn't deny that he wanted to spend more time with Nerissa, 'just for the mission' he told himself. Tim was the first to speak. 

"I can find time, like after class at GU we can come here together if you want? And Tuesday and Thursday you can come with Damian after school? And we're all off on Sundays for the family portrait, sounds good no?" she wanted to ask him 'when do I live my life if I'm here everyday?'. She knew she had to take it, it was an amazing chance for her, and she was desperate for the cash, but she didn't want them to know.

"My days are full on Tuesday and Thursday, and I can't possibly occupy your Sundays, Sunday is family day I'm sure you have things to do together instead of sitting still for hours with a stranger staring at you." she looked at Bruce to see what he thought, he seemed like he was considering his options. He didn't want her here everyday, but he had to admit her spending time here would ensure her safety, and the boys would be around more, specially Jason. 

"Nothing has to be decided right now, but if this portrait is to be painted I want you to do it, of that there is not doubt. The decision is yours. How are you liking the food?" he said with a smile.