Chapter 42

Sunday, Jason Blood's house

"Have you cleared your schedule?" Jason Blood asked Nerissa without looking up from his book, "I don't want any bat storming in."

"I have," she stared at him, "I brought the cloak back."

"It was a gift, from the demon, you do not give back gifts," Jason Blood snapped the book shut, "how are you feeling?"

"Like I've killed someone," she couldn't help but say, "I know a demon's life is a favored gain or whatever, but it doesn't change that I killed it."

"Indeed, John will not be joining us," he walked around his desk, "where's Thirteen?"

"In the kitchen, I think," she answered, "I understand her better."

"Do elaborate," he pushed the desk with ease and revealed a bullseye.

"I kind of hear her, like I turn her mewling into words, sort of."

"Sit down," he pointed at the armchair, "do exactly as I say."

"Okay."

"Take a deep breath, hold it in for 5 seconds then exhale," he instructed, "again."

Nerissa closed her eyes and inhaled for 5 seconds and exhaled for 5 others for what seemed to be forever. Every time she felt her frustration rising she heard Jason Blood's voice grounding her.

"Use the frustration and focus on your breathing, in and out, I'm going to ask you a question now, I want you to answer it the moment you feel lightheaded not a second before," he watched her breathing in and out, "what's your name?"

Nerissa kept breathing as steadily as possible. She started holding her breath for longer than 5 seconds, then for longer than 10, 15, when she reached 30 seconds she felt a little lightheaded.

"Nerissa Morgana Clare"

"How old are you?"

"22."

"Who am I?"

"Jason Blood, Knight of Camelot, possessed by Etrigan Prince of hell"

"Keep breathing," Jason Blood studied her for a minute, "where's Thirteen?"

"The fire escape of the west side building, on the fourth floor," Nerissa answered in the same tone she was using.

"What is she seeing?"

"A couple's fighting," Nerissa's eyes snapped open, "oh my god!"

"You shouldn't have broken the bond," he shook his head, "but now we know you can shift your consciousness into your cat's consciousness."

"This is super creepy!"

"Do refrain from the over use of the word 'creepy' as a lot of things you'll learn today might be considered eerie," Jason Blood couldn't hide his concern.

"What is it? Is this a skill only super evil witches have?"

"Not exactly," he reached for a book, "Klarion the witch boy for instance."

"Okay," Nerissa took the book and read about the witch boy, "oh, wow, he's such a brat."

"Well," Blood couldn't help the snort that escaped his lips, "that's certainly an interesting way to describe him. In his case however, the cat, Teekl is the source of his power which is why he can shift into it, unlike you. Your power is not connected to Thirteen, but it can connect you to her."

"How does that help us prevent the prophecies?"

"This helps us understand your power, which in turn might help us deal with the prophecies, we cannot prevent them," he kept his eyes steadily on hers, "do you understand that?"