Chapter 53: New Threat.

"Betty! You okay?"

Peter helped Betty and Ned out of the boat.

"Come on!" I urged.

"Guys, we gotta go!"

The water swirled into the air, forming the shape of a huge man. The colossal water monster roared.

"What is that?" Ned asked.

"I don't know." Peter replied.

"What're you gonna do?"

"I left my suit in the hotel room."

"Why?"

"Because I'm on vacation, Ned! Everyones gonna see my face, just get them outta here!"

Peter pushed Ned towards the stairs where Betty and MJ were waiting. The water monster smashed it's hand into a building. More people screamed as the creature continued to smash buildings and boats. I started helping people off the stairs.

"Get out of here. Go!"

Peter called out my name, making me turn back to the monster as it crashed into a building in front of us. Peter stumbled back.

"Oh, my God!"

Peter ran up the stairs, grabbing my wrist and pulling me up with him. We barely made it around the corner before the monster smashed into the building where he had been standing. More people were screaming and running away. Peter hit his wrist together to activate his web-shooters.

"Come on." He whispered.

"Pete, we gotta stop that thing."

"I know. I know."

Peter moved around the corner and shot a web at the monster. The web did nothing because the monster was made out of water. Peter looked mildly exasperated.

"Peter, that thing is literally made out of water! Webs aren't gonna work!"

People started screaming from behind us. Peter turned to see the monster heading towards a bridge swarming with people.

"Oh no, you don't!"

Peter jumped across poles in the water and launched himself up onto the bridge by leaping off a peddle. He helped a man up. The water monster slammed it's fist into the bridge and Peter was sent flying backward. Peter hit the other side of the bridge, now soaking wet. He coughed up water, panting to catch his breath as I show up beside him, offering him a hand up.
A green light was seen shooting at the monster from above. Behind us, there was a rumbling sound and a cloud of green mist appeared in the sky. Out of the mist, a man with an elaborate suit with a cape appeared, wearing a glass bowl over his head that swirled with mist.

"Who is that?" I questioned.

"I have no idea."

Peter looked around and saw a masquerade mask on the ground. The mysterious man shot green light at the monster, dodging it's attacks as he flew through the air. The man was thrown onto the ground and the monster roared. The mysterious man emerged from the water and flew at the monster once again.

"Excuse me sir! I c- we can help! Let me help! She's magic. I'm really strong and I'm...sticky!"

"I need you to lead it away from the canals!" He ordered.

The man flew off as the monster smashed into the building where we stood. Peter flipped away, landing on a nearby roof as I teleported there. The monster smashed through a building. Peter swung around it, attaching webs to hold it together as I cast a binding spell.

"Peter, that bell tower is gonna fall on those people!"

"Oh, come on!"

I opened a portal for us to walk through, the quickest form of transportation. Peter was swinging around the bell tower, using webs to stick it back together. He landed in the top of the bell tower, ducking under the bell to get to the other side. Peter took off his mask, watching the mysterious man fight the monster. The bell tower started to fall again. Peter shot a web, attaching it to two buildings across from us. The monster hit the tower again. Peter fell, his head hitting the bell, making it ring. Peter groaned as he tried to get up. The tower cracked again, pulling Peter by his webs across it. Peter's head hit the bell again as I lost my balance, hanging onto on of the pillars. The webs fell from the tower as Peter shot new webs, trying to hold the tower up. The man was still fighting the monster. Mysterio, as they called him, defeated the water monster. Peter and I were still trying to keep the bell tower from falling. He yelled out as the tower crumbled. His webs broke and the tower finally crashed to the ground. Mysterio landed and people began cheering. Peter got up before helping me do the same, he checked the black dahlia necklace to make sure it wasn't broken. He sighed in relief when he sees that it was intact. Mysterio saluted the crowd as they cheered for him before taking off and flying away in a cloud of green smoke.
_____________________________________

A handful of students were watching a television news report about Mysterio when we got back to the hotel.

"Its aliens. It has to be." Ned said.

"Buzzfeed says theres a sailor named Morris Bench who was exposed to an experimental underwater generator and got hydro powers." Flash educated.

"Yeah, you should definitely believe everything you read on the internet." MJ dissed.

"Spider-Man could take him." Flash defended.

"What do you think it is?" Mr. Harrington inquired.

"You Know, being a man of science.... witches" Mr. Dell replied.

Peter was on his phone away from the cluster of students.

"No, no, no, no. We wanna stay. We wanna stay."

"Yeah."

"Doctor Strange, May. Doctor Strange. And, ummm... No. I dont know who that was. He was a new guy. I was trying to help him, but-"

Peter was cut off by May on the other end of the phone.

"Happy's there?"

My attention immediately focused in on Peter's conversation.

"Hey, Happy-"

"What're you doing-"

"There's... some setbacks, for sure."

"I know. Love you. Bye."

He hung up the phone and turned to see me looking at him with a raised brow, arms folded.

"So Happy and May, huh?"

A smiled formed on my lips as the awkwardness of it all began to show in his demeanour. I took a glance behind me as I walked over to him.

"That's the least of your worries right now, Pete."

He rubbed his hand over his face while letting out a sigh.

"Yeah, I know. I have no idea what that thing was, or who that guy was or where he came from."

I nodded in agreement, staring at my feet before looking up at him.

"We'll figure it out, Pete. We always do."