Chapter 55: Elementals.

Peter started rambling excitedly.

"I'm sorry, you're saying there's a multiverse? 'Cause I thought that was just theoretical. That completely changes how we understand the initial singularity. We're talking about an internal inflation system and how does that even work with all the quantum-? It's insane-"

Peter realized everyone else had turned to look at him, unamused.

"S-sorry. It's really cool."

I gave him a small smile as he turned back to Beck.

"Don't ever apologize for being the smartest one in the room."

Peter smiled.

"Anyway-" Hill stated.

A hologram appeared on the table.

"They were born in stable orbits within black holes. Creatures formed from the primary elements: Air, water, fire, earth. The Science Division had a technical name. We just called them Elementals." Beck educated.

"Versions of them exist across our mythologies." Hill informed.

"Turns out, the myths are real." Beck stated, a worried tone to his voice.

"Like Thor. Thor was a myth and now we study him in our physics class." I said.

"These myths are threats." Fury retaliated.

"They first materialized on my earth many years ago. We mobilized and fought them, but with each battle they grew, got stronger. I was part of the last battalion left trying to stop them. All we did was delay the inevitable." Beck continued.

"The Elementals are here now, attacking the same coordinates. Our satellites confirm it." Hill informed.

"So thank Mr. Beck for destroying the other three. There's only one left: fire."

"The strongest of them all. The one that destroyed my Earth. It's the one that took my family." Beck stated, remorsefully.

"I'm sorry." Peter said shamefully.

There was something about Quintin Beck that just wasn't right. Something was off about him and I was determined to figure out what it was.

"And it will be in Prague in approximately 48 hours." Hill stated.

"We have one mission: kill it."

Fury turned to Peter.

"And you're coming with us."

"I'm sorry. Did you say Prague?"

Peter laughed nervously.

"Mr. Fury, this all seems like bigtime, you know, huge superhero kinda stuff. And, I mean, I'm just a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, sir."

Fury raised a brow at him.

"Bitch, please. You've been to space."

"I know, but that was an accident. Sir, come on. There's gotta be someone else you can use. What about Thor?"

"Off-world."

"Okay, um, Doctor Strange."

"Unavailable."

"Captain Marvel."

"Don't invoke her name."

"Sir, look, I really wanna help, I do. But if my aunt finds out that I left my class trip, she's gonna kill me. And if I'm seen like this in Europe, after the Washington Monument, my whole class will figure out who I am and then-and then the whole world will figure out who I am, then I'm done."