"I don't know what game this guy is playing , but he's crazy if he thinks he's going to win against me," he muttered. His eyes flickered to me before he addressed me. "Get out of my sight. I don't want to see you again until you're done."

Jonah roughly grabbed my arm and yanked me towards the door.

"Oh, and Emerson?" I flinched at the sound of my name. "Be careful. We wouldn't want you to hurt yourself again, now would we?" I could feel him stare holes into my back. I silently shook my head. "That's what I thought. Now go."

My arm almost got pulled out of socket as Jonah pulled me back out the door. It took no time until I was shoved into my so-called room. Deacon had taken the largest room and split it into two rooms, one being much larger than the other. The room I was given was barely big enough to fit my twin bed and a tiny dresser. One of the only good things about my room was the en suite bathroom, which meant that I really didn't have to leave my room for anything except food.

I sunk onto my bed and laid my head on my pillow. I sighed, my eyes involuntarily closing. Unfortunately, I realized that I had homework that I needed to work on. But my mind and body were exhausted. I told myself that I would just close my eyes for a few minutes, and then I would get to work.

When I woke up, it was still dark out. I looked at my alarm clock to check the time. I saw that it was past midnight. In my almost delirious sleep state, I managed to set an alarm for five. Rolling over, I quickly slipped back into darkness.

When the beeping of the alarm started, I slapped the button to stop it immediately. If it woke up any of Deacon or his men, I knew I would be in more trouble. I rolled out of bed and hurriedly went to the restroom. I brushed my hair and teeth, threw on some mascara, and called it good. Going back to my room, I grabbed my school bag from where I threw it. I quickly scribbled down answers to the questions and threw the papers back into my folder for class. Double checking the clock, I raced to the kitchen to start the coffee and make the breakfast. I know that even if Deacon told me not to show my face, he still expected me to do all of my normal chores.

I threw together some batter for pancakes and used the griddle to have it ready for when the men woke up. I was done in half an hour and managed to grab my bag and head outside before I heard anyone even stir. I knew that if I was going to walk to school, I might as well go ahead and start working. I would rather be really early to school than be late.

I adjusted my bag on my shoulders and started out. The streets were pretty quiet, only one or two cars were actually out this early. About ten minutes into my walk, I heard another car start to pull up next to me.

"Get in." I tried to contain my flinch as I turned to get a ride. I settled into the seat as I waited for him to go. "What did you think you're doing?"

"I-I just th-thought that..."

His hands tightened on the steering wheel. "No, that's just it. You weren't thinking."

I felt the tears well up, but didn't let them out. I turned my face to the window so he couldn't see it.

"And by the way, you left this in your room." He handed me my phone.

"Th-thanks."

"Next time, don't leave it at the house. And don't walk to school by yourself." I nodded, not trusting my voice at the moment.

We pulled up to the school. The parking lot was still pretty empty, considering it was still a while before school started. I grabbed my backpack in my hand and reached for the handle.

"And Emerson?" I paused halfway out of the car. "Try not to do anything stupid today." I almost grinned. Almost.

"Yes-s, sir. Th-thank you, Brandon." He nodded, driving off after I closed the door.

His GirlOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara