Chapter 8

HELLO HELLO HELLO EVERYONE! I'M BACK WITH ANOTHER CHAPTER!!!

I am SO SO SO SO sorry for taking so long to post this update! I've had family stuff going on, and then I've been struggling to write these past few weeks, but I think I've gotten back into the groove and out of my rut!!!

Anyways, I hope you guys have enjoyed the story so far!

Please let me know if you see any grammar or editing mistakes!

I love seeing what you guys think about the story, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE COMMENT, VOTE, AND FOLLOW!!! 

*          *          *          *          *

I stayed in the closet the whole night, not sleeping. Even when I started to nod off, the fear of Deacon coming for me kept me awake, forcing my eyes to stay open.

When I heard my alarm clock sound the next morning, I blinked several times, trying to bring some moisture back into my eyes. The muscles in my legs were tense as I crept forward. I looked through the small crack between the two doors and listened carefully. I didn't see or hear anything besides the beeping of the alarm, so I slowly poked my head through to see if I was missing anything. Even then, there was nothing. I crept out of my hiding spot, careful to step quietly on my toes so that I wouldn't be heard.

Quickly, I hit the button to silence the alarm. I shuffled around my room until I found a clean pair of jeans and an oversized sweater. Just before I walked out of my room, I paused. Before I could double think it, I backtracked, took off my sweater to slip on Silas's shirt, before putting my sweater back on. I quickly grabbed my school bag before making my way out of my room.

As I stepped out into the kitchen, I saw Jonah leaning up against the counter drinking out of his coffee mug. I gingerly slid the backpack onto my shoulder before coming to a stop a few feet away from him. I kept my head down, eyes pointed towards the tile. I didn't say anything as I waited for Jonah to finish his drink and then drive me to school, shuffling back and forth on my two feet.

"Go put your book bag away." I stopped my movement. He took another sip of his coffee before continuing. "Go put your bag away; you're not going to school today."

I managed to spit out, "How come?"

"Deacon said you weren't going to school today." He rolled his eyes. "I guess when Deacon called to cancel all of his clients this week, that Marshall guy said he still wanted to see you, earlier and for longer too. And he said that he wanted you to get waxed and get your hair cut and nails done before he sees you. He even gave us extra cash to pay for it all."

I frowned, not understanding what was happening. "What?"

Jonah grunted, clearly not pleased. "I'm supposed to take you to the nail salon and the hair place." He grumbled under his breath, "Although I don't know why he would care what you look like. It's not like he even has to look at you to do what he wants."

I felt my face grow hot as I let my eyes drop to my shoes.

"Did you hear me, or are you deaf? You have two minutes to go put your book bag away and be in the car before I leave you and pocket the cash," he growled.

I immediately dashed back to my room to drop my school bag before practically sprinting to Jonah's car. I tried not to seem too eager, but it was hard to contain my excitement. Deacon rarely let me leave the house unless I was going to school or somewhere with him and a hoard of his men, so this felt like a whole new experience.

I sat silently on the way to our first destination, my hands folded in my lap as I tried not to fidget in my seat. Midway through the drive, Jonah grunted before reaching into his pocket for a cigarette. He fumbled around to find his lighter before switching on the flame and igniting the end of the white roll. I stopped myself from covering my nose when he started blowing out smoke; I hated the smell.