Chapter 6

I hope you guys have enjoyed the story so far!

Please let me know if you see any grammar or editing mistakes!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE COMMENT, VOTE, AND FOLLOW!!! 

*         *         *           *          *

I barely got any sleep. Every few hours, I woke up from another nightmare, sweating despite the chill of the room. And every time, I burrowed farther under the covers and pulled up the shirt I was wearing to smell the leftover scent of cedar and leather. Although I know it shouldn't have, it brought me comfort and made me feel protected. I savored the feeling.

After the fifth or sixth nightmare, I tossed and turned, unable to fall back asleep. I quietly groaned when I heard a knock on the door, signaling the end of my alone time. Glancing over at the clock, I saw that it was only five-thirty. Without waiting for a response, Jonah barged in, a scowl on his face.

"Time to make breakfast." That's all he said before slamming the door closed again. 

I shifted around in the bed, still sore from two nights before, and let out an audible groan this time. Swinging my legs until they dangled off the edge, I yawned. I stretched my arms over my head before using my balled-up fists to rub my eyes. As I did, I felt a pinch in my shoulder. I frowned, reaching a hand up to where I had felt the pull. The pain intensified when I touched it, and I remembered Deacon's mark solidifying me as "his." 

I tried not to move my shoulder too much as I scooted off the bed and headed to the bathroom. Yanking the shirt off, I looked at myself in the mirror. Two little half-moons faced each other, standing out against my very pale skin. I grimaced, quickly stepping into the shower and rinsing off the grime from the day before. 

When I got out of the shower, I realized that the only clothes were the ones that Deacon had made me put on the day before and Silas's shirt. Knowing I would feel uncomfortable walking around in the skimpy outfit, I pulled the black tee back over my head. At least it covered all of me and came down to mid-thigh. Not wanting to risk Deacon's wrath any longer, I made my way out of the poolhouse and back to the main house. 

I opened the back door as quietly as I could, not wanting to wake up anyone. Thankfully, it didn't appear that anyone was awake. I was pretty sure that even after waking me up, Jonah went back to bed, which was fine with me. Having all of Deacon's men around made me uncomfortable. 

I decided to get to work immediately and preheated the oven. Pulling out all the ingredients for pancakes, I began to add them together in a large bowl, still trying to avoid being too loud. I grabbed a package of bacon out of the fridge. With one hand I continued to stir the pancake concoction while I used the other to slap the meat on a cookie sheet. After throwing the bacon in the oven, I set up the electric griddle to cook the pancakes.

By the time that Deacon came down for breakfast, I had made almost thirty pancakes and over sixty pieces of bacon. I rushed to place plates and cups out on the bar and quickly realized I forgot to make any coffee. I felt my face pale and scurried to do it before Deacon could notice. Thankfully, he was too busy pilling the breakfast food on his plate. After scooping the grounds into the machine, I pressed brew and waited.

"How's my girl this morning?" I jumped as Deacon's gruff morning voice pulled me out of my concentrated state.

I didn't want to answer but knew he expected one. So I settled with a soft, "I'm ok." 

He grunted but said nothing more as he brought his plate to the dining room. I stood by the coffee machine, hopping back and forth between my feet waiting for there to be enough for Deacon.