Chapter Twelve:

Kenma should have known that the heavy rain would only bring bad news. It never rained on a good day. But he ignored the obvious signs as he washed some dishes by the kitchen window. Why would he ignore his own instincts you might be wondering?

His mother is supposed to return that afternoon, and that meant his life would turn back to normal. He could return to his room, his comfy bed, and he could finally have a chess partner. He hadn't played in three weeks and it was killing him. He hummed happily as he placed another plate on the drying rack when there was a loud knock on the doors. He felt his heart sore as he ran to the door, arms still covered in water and soap. He opened the door as fast as he could, ready to throw his arms around the women but stopped. It wasn't his mother, it was Mr. Nitaka the post man. "Oh good, Kenma its you. I have some letters for you."

"Thank you. Did you see any other carriages on your way?"

"Sorry son, it seems its just little old me out in this storm. Have a good day." The old man tipped his hat as he went back out to his horse, pulling his coat around himself to block the harsh winds. Kenma felt an inkling of doubt tickle the back of his mind as he closed the door. "Kenma who was that?"

"Mr. Nitaka. He brought me a letter. One for you too sir."

"Give it here then." Oikawa snatched the second letter and tore it open. Kenma did the same with his own admiring the hawk stamp- symbol of bird delivery- and undid the seal, immediately smelling his mother's lavender perfume. He unfolded the white paper and read over the beautiful cursive.

  My little kitten,
      It seems my trip may last much longer then i anticipated. Our ship was caught in a bad storm and crashed on the rocks, but I'm alright so don't worry. But the ship was badly damaged and needs to be fixed before we can even think of returning to Karasuno. The captain estimated repairs would take a month or two at least. I know i promised to be back in a few weeks but i have no choice but to wait with your grandmother until i can return. I'm sending a letter for your Stepfather as well. I do hope your doing well and you all are getting along. I miss you my kitten, i promise I'll bring you back something special. And something for Kuroo too. Remember, stay strong and remain kind until i come home.

                                                                                                                   I love you dearly and I'll be back soon.
                                                                                                                                                   Your Mother~

  His stomach dropped, nearly dropping the letter from shock. "My isn't this a predicament." Oikawa chuckled as he finished his own letter. Smirking down at Kenma who looked like a kicked puppy, "Looks like you'll be our little servant for a while longer."

Kenma should have known that nothing would go the way he wanted. Oikawa's echoing cackling and the heavy rain outside was all he could hear.