33 | The Deal

Mulai dari awal

Steph gives him a look that says he doesn't believe him. She checks his phone to see about five more of her songs.

"That's not what I'm seeing here," she asserts as she checks his playlist.

Chris glances at her. "Don't blame me. Her songs are catchy."

"Or she's your celebrity crush."
Steph guffaws to Chris' chagrin.

Chris notices a café up ahead as he drives. He visits the café once in a while, sometimes with Max and Jason.

"Hey, do you mind if we stop at that café? I'm suddenly craving doughnuts," he tells Steph.

"Like you need to ask for permission from me," Steph huffs which makes Chris smile.
They arrive at the café and Chris parks the car.
Chris gets out of the car, expecting Steph to do too but when he turns to shut the door, he finds her still seated comfortably on the passenger's seat.

He motions for her to follow.
"Let's go."

Steph unbuckles her seatbelt and reaches for the door handle. She realises she's still wearing Chris' jacket and then she replays what happened at school in her head. She still feels like breaking Ivy's neck.

"Hazel," Chris pokes his head into the car and stared at her. "Come on, let's go."

"I'm not going," she shakes her head vehemently. "I'll wait in here for you."

"No, you're coming with me."

"No, I'm staying in the car."

"Why?" Chris inquires.

"Look at me," Steph starts. "I'm wearing an oversized leather jacket that happens to be yours. People will be staring."

Chris chuckles. "You look cute in my jacket. People might stare because of how cool we'll look---like a couple. They'll just think I'm your boyfriend--" Steph snorts. "--and you're wearing my awesome jacket. People find that very romantic, you know."

Chris laughs lightly because of the look on her face.
"That's ridiculous. Just go, I'll wait here," Steph says with a serious look on her face.

"Fine," Chris says in a dry tone. He'll just have to drag her then.

Steph looks at him suspiciously when he agrees. She was expecting him to persist until she gives in. But she's relieved he has agreed. She watches him shut the door but instead of heading straight into the café, he comes to her side and before she can react, he opens the door with a smile on his lips and his green eyes twinkling.

"What are you doing?" Steph asks in a curious tone.

"We're going in there together," Chris says and grabs her hand.

"Hey!" Steph exclaims. "I said I'm not going anywhere." She tries to pry her hand out of his grip but he doesn't budge. He holds her tight but not enough to hurt her.

"Let's go," he begins to pull her out of the car.

"No, no. Christopher." She glares at him but he only smiles wider.

He succeeds in pulling her out of the car before shutting the door. Then he begins to walk in the direction of the entrance, dragging Steph along.

"Let me go, Chris. Please I don't want to go."
She tries to wriggle her hand from his grasp but he doesn't let go.

"Don't make a scene, Hazel."
He walks them into the café, a friendly chime welcoming them.

"I'll get you for this Chris," Steph says with the most threatening voice she can muster.