nineteen

"What do you mean you won't take me?  I'll take a fucking bike if I have to

"What do you mean you won't take me? I'll take a fucking bike if I have to. I'm not letting my family leave without saying goodbye, unlike you."  Alondra stood up from the couch, making Armando and Rachel look up at her.  "Actually, I don't know why I bothered with asking, because I'm going whether you want me to or not."

"You think your little Crenshaw friends can afford to take you that far? It's almost a 3 hour a drive, it's not worth it."

"First of all, my family is worth it. Second, unlike you, I know how to live in Beverly and Crenshaw without leaving people behind. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a block party to get to."

"Alondra, we're not done here."

"Funny, because I'm done, and now I'm going to Crenshaw."  She picked up her phone and wallet, then walked to the front door. In the driveway was Olivia, Jordan's sister who recently became a good friend of Alondra's. Olivia was going to volunteer at the block party, but Alondra was just going to go. It's what she's done every year of her life and she wasn't going to stop. "I'm warning you right now, some of those kids are ruthless."

Keeping her eyes focused on the road, Olivia laughed, thinking Alondra was joking. "What, are they going to bully me into leaving?"

"Maybe, depends on how they're feeling. It's usually the younger ones, but if they don't like your shoes, hair, make up, or even the way that you're breathing, they'll let you know. One time, I was minding my business and some girl ran up and made fun of my shoes."  She pouted. 

The rest of the drive was filled with them singing to the music on the radio and Alondra pointing out things to make Olivia laugh. Most people just walked to the park for the party, so the parking lot wasn't that packed, but the crowd was already huge by the time they got there. The girls split up, Olivia going to her volunteer stand and Alondra going to find her friends. First, she found Patience and decided to just hang with her because at some point, they'll all meet up. 

Like she predicted, Spencer came.  He greeted Alondra like he hasn't seen her in a week, and then asked if either one of them had seen Coop yet because she was the MC for the entire party. It was kind of weird how when one friend found a friend, someone else would pop up. Alondra found Patience, then Spencer found them both, and a few seconds later, Coop was walking up with Shawn.

At the sight of Shawn, Alondra got excited and before Spencer could say anything, Alondra went forward and hugged him tightly. "I missed you, ice cream buddy." She smiled, making Spencer pretty confused. Ever since she left, they have talked on the phone every single day; for 5 days since she left Sunday afternoon.

"Yo, you lost?"

The second Spencer opened his mouth, Alondra could physically feel Shawn tensing up before he let go of her. "Man, I ain't here to start nothing. It's Coop's big day. She wanted her boy by her side, that's all."