eleven

After school, Alondra went to Spencer's house and once he walked through the door, she jumped on him to hug him.  "Feliz cumpleaños, puto.  Can I slap you?"

Spencer pat Alondra's back and bent over to put her back down on the floor.  "I'ma give you the same answer I've been giving you for the past 12 years: no."

"It'll happen one day."  Alondra shrugged.  She moved out of the way so Grace and Dillon could greet him, then they all gave him space so he could freshen up, considering he just had practice.  "Can I do the writing on the cake now?"

"Go ahead, you've done it every year."

"I'd like to think my cake skills have improved.  Remember, I used to put it around the cake because I wrote too big.  I'm basically a professional now."  Alondra smiled, and Grace shook her head as she watched her skip to the kitchen.

For about half an hour, everyone kind of spread out around the house while Spencer took his time in the bathroom. When he walked out, he only saw his mom in the kitchen because Coop, Alondra and Dillon were in the hallway trying to light the candles. 

"Ay, carajo."  Alondra hissed, pulling her hand back from the cake and putting her finger in her mouth.  "It attacked me."

"That's why I told you to light the candles on the inside first and just move to the ends."  Coop shook her head and held the cake in her hands. She took one hand from under the cake to pick up one of the lit candles and light the remaining.  "Now let's go before these candles melt and get all over the cake."

The three walked out, Dillon being the only one singing, until Alondra stopped him. "Yo, we sang happy birthday this morning."

"What, I only get one song?"

The girls nodded and Coop set the cake down on the table. "One song, one wish."

Spencer shook his head at the two, then took a second to think about what he wanted to wish for. Everyone waited, impatiently, for him to blow out the candles, and once he did, Alondra started clapping over dramatically. "They grow up so fast." She mumbled, wiping a "tear" from her eye. "I'll get the ice cream."

Alondra skipped to the kitchen to get the pints of ice cream that were already in the freezer. Meanwhile, Spencer looked down at the cake to actually read what it said. It read "Happy Birthday Spence!" in red icing, with a smiley face after it. But at the bottom, in a much smaller font, it read "happy birthday puto", again, with the smiley face. Spencer laughed, but since nobody else knew what the cake said, they looked at him oddly.

× × ×

The next day, after school again, Alondra went to Spencer's house

The next day, after school again, Alondra went to Spencer's house. They were having a party-not-party for him, so she was riding with Ms. Grace, Coop and Dillon, instead of leaving an hour early and taking three buses.  Then again, she got to their house like 20 minutes late because she was getting ready.  "Took you long enough, Alo, damn."