eight

At the diner, Alondra looked down at her Oreo milkshake, sipping and ignoring her phone while Shawn was having a full-course meal. "Can I have a french fry?"

"I asked you 3 times if you wanted a basket of fries and you said no." Shawn stated, staring at Alondra with an unimpressed look on her face. 

"I just want one."

"You said that half a plate ago."  Shawn stated.  In reality, Alondra just didn't want to spend anymore of his money.  "I'll just order some more."  He turned his plate, letting the fries face her before waving over their waitress. Alondra watched him, then slowly began to eat whatever fries he had left. It was about an hour later that they started walking, but Alondra was basically strolling. "You gonna be good over the weekend?"

Alondra, who was balancing on the edge of the sidewalk like it was a tightrope, looked over to her childhood friend. "Yeah. I'll probably just spend most of the time out of the house."

"If you need anything, just call me.  My number's still the same."

"So I can call you if I need another milkshake?"

"Alo, if you call me at 3am because you want a damn milkshake, I'll break your phone." Shawn threatened.

Alondra gasped and stopped walking to put a hand on her chest. "You would deprive me on my technological devices for requesting for a simple service?"

"Man, shut the hell up."

× × ×

The next morning was strange to say the least. Silence was something that Alondra never experienced.  Being the youngest in the family, meant that when she was born, the family was already chaotic and loud.  Whether it be her mom blasting music in the morning so everyone could wake up and clean, or to fight with her brothers about small, random things, the house was never silent—unless everyone was gone. 

Pouring herself a bowl of cereal, she turned on the TV to make herself more comfortable. But when she looked around the house and didn't see a single soul in sight, she sighed sadly.  It was during her breakfast that she decided that she was going to go out and look for a job.  With her family locked up somewhere, she was going to need to pay all the bills.  Alone.

The house itself recently just got paid off, but she still had to worry about the phone bill, the electricity, the water, and basically anything else that came in the mail. She had no idea how she was going to balance school, cheer practice, and her job, but she needed to make it work. And once she found out where her family was being held, she talk to them about how she was going to do it.

She threw on a pair of jeans and a simple shirt before walking out the door and going on her adventure to get job applications. It was a long process, but after like two hours of going to almost every single store she passed by, all she wanted to do was go home and take a nap.  The last place she went to was Alvin's Barbershop and once he saw her, he immediately went over to hug her. 

"I'm sorry about your mom and brothers, Londra."  He said.  "What're you up to?"  He asked.

She held the stack of papers up in the air, and sent a small smile to Alvin.  "I'm collecting job applications.  There's still bills to pay, but I've been walking for like three hours so I came in here to rest."

"Oh, well you want something to drink?  We got water, juice, soda..."

"Can I have water?"

Alvin nodded and started walking to the back of the shop.  "I'll get you a snack too.  And a pen."

Alondra went to sit down in one of the waiting chairs, beside a guy reading the newspaper.  Alvin and his workers were the only people Marcos and Antonio trusted to cut their hair, so Alvin's known Alondra since she was a little girl in pigtails, dresses, and frilly socks.  Alvin came out with a water bottle, a pen, and a small bag of chips, like he said he would, and gave them to Alondra before getting back to work.

Even though she was filling out applications, Alondra still made sure to talk with everyone else in the shop, until Jordan Baker walked in with his dad.  Alvin and every older guy looked to the door and each other in surprise.  "Is that Billy Baker?  Well, I'll be dammed."

Billy went to go talk to Alvin and everyone else working, as if they were old friends, because they were. Rather than just awkwardly standing by the door, Jordan went to sit beside Alondra until he could get his hair cut. "Hey, Alondra. You feeling okay?" Slightly confused, she slowly turned her head to Jordan. "I heard about what happened."

When he said that, Alondra threw her head back with a groan. "Jesus, does everyone is LA know?"

At her distress, Jordan became stunned and went silent. "Then, I'll pretend I don't. How's your day been?"

"Good. I'm just looking for a job to... help with bills." She answered, catching on that Jordan was trying to make her feel a sense of normalcy again.  "You ever have a job, Beverly?"

"Uh... no?"  Jordan stuttered.  "I help my mom at her campaigns, but that's like volunteering."

Alondra hummed, closing her pen to fully pay attention to Jordan. "Oh, so charity work."

"Cha- no, I wouldn't call it that." He chuckled. "How come you're filling these out here?"

Jordan tapped the stack of papers she had, so Alondra decided to focus on them. "I don't really want to go home right now."

Understanding where she was coming from, Jordan nodded his head. "After I'm done, you wanna... get some food?"

With the smallest of smiles, Alondra looked to Jordan with a little glint in her eye. "You don't give up, do you?" Jordan shook his head, a smile on his face as he stared at Alondra and took in every feature of her face. "Okay, I'll let you sugar daddy me for food."

"You have a way with words." Jordan laughed.

Alondra shrugged with a smile and turned back to her papers. "I was just born this way.  Don't be jealous."

Jordan bit his lip and stood up when Alvin waved him over.  "I'll be back for you."

for future reference, some chapters will deal with alondra's family getting deported. i dont really know much about how deportation works, so I'm kind of just basing it off of what happened in the pilot episode of Party of Five. also, I'm pretty sure CPS doesn't come to your house after your family gets deported unless you give them a reason to but idk so just pretend
👁👅👁

  also, I'm pretty sure CPS doesn't come to your house after your family gets deported unless you give them a reason to but idk so just pretend 👁👅👁

30 VOTES FOR NEXT CHAPTER‼️