thirteen

The next morning, Alondra's head was in her locker, banging it against one of her textbooks while Serenity stood beside her with a confused and disturbed look on her face. Alondra wasn't exactly being quiet, so Serenity had to watch people walk by and stare. "Calculus can suck my dick."

"Babygirl, it was one C+. Plus you're like the only junior in that class and the only person passing." Serenity said. "Now come on. We have lunch and I'm starving."

"Oh, I brought my own lunch. I'm tired of stale cardboard. They're in the kitchen all day and for what? The system is trying to poison us."

Alondra pulled out a bag of food and then shut her locker before hooking her arm with Serenity's and walking down the hallway. "We been knew, baby. Now, have you heard anything about your brothers or mom? It's been over a month."

"They have a court date to try and stay here.  I don't even know how they paid for a lawyer, but unless they were free, it took a lot out of their wallets."

The hallway was packed, but the cafeteria was even more so. "I'm sure they'll be fine. You don't worry your pretty little head." Serenity rubbed Alondra's arm comfortingly as they both got in line. "If there's one thing I know about is that they always solve their problems. No matter what, so I'm sure everything will be fine."

Alondra nodded and followed Serenity in the lunch line. She didn't plan on buying anything, but the snacks caught her eye, so she ended up grabbing a cookie and a bag of hot cheetos to go with the food she brought from home.

The cashier was close to questioning Alondra's choices, thinking that was the only thing she was going to eat, but she didn't.  At this point, Alondra and Serenity had unlinked arms and were walking to their table with their friends.  Alondra was seated across Serenity and beside Chris when she got tapped on the shoulder.  She turned around and saw Shawn with a backwards hat.  He nudged his head, so Alondra excused herself and while walking away into the hallway, Chris and Serenity watched her and Shawn in confusion.

"Aight, so I know you have cheer practice after school, but you think you could watch Maya?"  Alondra's eyes went wide and she opened her mouth to say something, but noticing the look on her face, Shawn cut her off.  "My mom already has something planned and I have to do something tonight.  I don't have to leave until 5, so it'll be after your practice."

Shawn looked at Alondra with hope—her being his last resort, the first being his mom. "Fine, okay. But only because I love Maya."

× × ×

After cheer practice, Alondra felt like she was sweating buckets, so the first thing did once she got dropped off by Serenity was jump in a much needed shower.  It was about 4:30 when she got home, so she didn't have much time before she had to go to Shawn's apartment and hangout with Maya.  In the middle of fixing her hair, there was a knock on the door, and it sounded pretty serious because of how loud and stern it was. 

She put the hairbrush she was using down, and quietly—but quickly— went to the door.  Once she knew it wasn't a gang member, she opened the door for the lady in a business outfit.  "Eres Alondra Cisneros?"  She asked in a horrible accent.

"I speak English."  Alondra said with no emotion, but inside she was kind of offended.  "What do you want?"

The white lady pulled out a badge for about a second before putting it away.  "I'm with CPS and we wanted to say that we found your dad."

She was kind of expecting a happy reaction, but Alondra stared at her and tilted her head.  "Keep him.  I don't want it."

"You don't have a choice.  You're a minor and you need a legal guardian."  She stated, as if Alondra didn't already know that.  "He lives about 30 minutes away, in Beverly Hills."

"I know."  The social worker was taken back, looking at Alondra in confusion.  "He told us he was having an affair with a white lady in Beverly Hills and that she was going to marry him so he could become a citizen.  I know."

"And you didn't tell us that?"

"I don't want to live with him."

The social worker clasped her hands together, suddenly feeling stressed.  "We spent weeks looking for him and you— you know what?  It's okay.  You either live with him or you go into the system where you'll move around with strangers and might not see your mom until you're 18."

"Technically, my sperm donor is a stranger too because he left when I was 3."  Alondra stated.

"Look, you have a week to decide.  Either way, you're leaving Crenshaw."

yall really liked that last chapter bc it got 50 votes in less than 20hrs 👁👅👁

crenshaw cheerleaders dont get shown, but i kinda envision them to be like the Clovers (Bring it On) and the team from NCAT

like they do stomping routines and dances, not just stunts and flips

50 VOTES FOR NEXT CHAPTER ‼️