Ice Chapter 4: Capture

Quick Note: If you read chapter 1 before 7/11/20, please go back and read the little snippet I added for a better story later on!

Thank you so much! And enjoy!

~~~~

It only took two hours for the sun to set completely.

I never returned to camp. I sigh, leaning my head back on the rough bark behind me. I've been sitting on a pine tree a few hundred feet of the ground some distance from our campsite for over an hour.

Thanks Ms. Asteria, for teaching me how to not move for hours while make no sound. I scoff, watching the rock I used to sharpen my dagger bounce down the tree. Not like my dagger can get much sharper. I return it to the sheath hidden against my shoe.

A twig snaps from below me. I freeze, my ears perking up. I look down, seeing a group of three thugs sneaking through the underbrush. Soundlessly, like a panther in the hunt, I fix my perch. I hop up on the balls of my feet, balancing upon the branch in a squatted position. My muscles were taunt and ready, humming with excitement.

My eyes snap to the movement up closer to the camp. Another group of five was sneaking up towards the raised platform where Brandon, Kairo, and the Prince were currently tense, waiting for attack, but pretending to not know.

Alright vampires. Why are you so powerful? I question, interested to watch the fight go down. I shift my weight, excited to watch this fight, and praying I won't need to get involved.

"GO!" yells a shrill voice. Suddenly, chaos. Screams and shouts fill the night air. Birds explode into the sky as men yell war cries. They burst into the camp.

The vampires jump onto their feet, fangs out and ready. Men hop into the stone platform, slowly surrounding the orphans and the vampires. A small ball flies over the treetops towards the vampires. "PWOOSH!" I watch in horror as it explodes above the vampires.

The children scream, jumping up and scrambling together. "GRAB THEM! ROUND THEM UP TOGETHER! GO! GO! GO!" the men yell, closing in on the young faeries.

I watch in fear as a silver dust settles over the three vampires from the exploded ball. It's a silver bomb!! The vampires collapse where they stood.

NO! My fingers start to burn.

The men successfully manage to round the orphans in a corner.

"YAH!!" The three seventeen years old boys try to fight off the approaching thugs only to be punched out. I wince as they drop. I squeeze my eyes shut, looking away as the men begin kicking them to make sure they don't stand back up.

A whimper leaves my throat.

"Did you hear that?!" A passing thug freezes under my tree. I cover my mouth, silently pulling myself into a darker shadow of tree.

"Man, there is a fight up ahead! Hear what specifically?!" His buddy scoffs. "Come on! We are missing all the action!"

The thugs bolt off. The faeries continue screaming. I clutch a branch above me, the rough bark digging in my skin. I grit my teeth, shield myself against the heart-wrenching screams and cries for help.

The raspy voice I heard by the waterfall laughs, "That's all of them! I counted!"

I feel heat again enter my singed fingertips, anger slowly creeping in. You missed one, ya bastard.

I narrow my eyes towards the camp. Time for the plan. A dark sadistic smile touches my lips, The thugs won't know what hit them.

**